Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m searching for the ULTIMATE sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m searching for the ULTIMATE sear

My wife and I went to NYC for our 5-year anniversary. I got us a reservation at Capital Grille before our Wicked theatre performance on Broadway. Looking at the menu, I decided on the bone-in Kona crusted dry aged NY Strip with shallot butter. This thing came out and looked GLORIOUS!! It was one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. The sear was so perfect, it got me thinking (which often gets me in trouble).

Backstory: I invested in the BBQ Dragon fan and charcoal chimney plus Grill Grates that sit on top. I thought I was going to have the ultimate searing station. While it did ok, the steak at Capital Grille was sooo much better. Was it their technique? Was it that Kona-crust (coffee crust)?

With the BBQ Dragon fan and chimney along with the Grill Grates, you have to be careful about not getting the temps up over 850F (the GG will melt). Luckily, my Termagun measures that, and it’s quite easy to get over that temp quite quickly. The GG’s feature is that it reduces flare-ups. What could be better? Super hot, no flare-ups, and temps in the 800-850F region.

Further, David Parrish has this YouTube Live video out there that he uses his SnS along with the cold grate technique. He’s got flame climbing over his steak, and he’s mostly nonchalant about it. His theory is that he’s using the radiant heat only off the charcoal to create the mailliard reaction, and all those spices and fat BURN with the conductive heat off of HOT grill grates (bitter tasting). His steak and sear turned out great, but it has me thinking (which, again, often gets me into trouble).

I’m extremely lucky here on the pit. I have had many people here teach me the ways of good BBQ and be non-judgemental and patient with me with their advice... not to mention BBQ lunches with Pit Boss Emeritus himself. So, last week, this very subject came up about his cold great technique. He explained it with precision. He said that he and Meathead were talking years ago and Meathead said he wanted his steaks to levitate over a really hot fire, so you don’t burn the spices, while still getting that super sear. That got Pit Boss Emeritus thinking to eventually create SnS and the Easy Spin Grates. Highly interesting conversation at lunch last week.

So, I have this perfect steak on my plate in NYC. How the heck do they do it? Did they use the most ultimate searing machine ever using some sort of cold grates, or steak-levitating device? Do they baste the steak in clarified butter, oil, or beef love? Do those things matter, but it’s really about the coffee crust? I still don’t know the answer to that, but man that steak was so good. You can see, there are ZERO grill marks, and blackened all over.

So, let’s hear it. What are your techniques for that ultimate, fail-safe sear? Do flare-ups matter one iota? Is there a steak rub you use that HELPS with the blackened perfect sear? I want to create the most insane steak crust at home, and luckily, I have the pit to help

By the way, Wicked on Broadway was spectacular! A must see! And that bombing this morning was at the same intersection as our hotel, and I walked in that subway station a few weeks ago as we made our way to the airport.
    Attached Files

I believe they sear with salamanders that get to something like 1,800°F. Perhaps a home cook could use a propane torch--lol. I am pretty happy with searing (after SV) on GrillGrates on my Weber gasser, tho I doubt they get much hotter than 600--700°F.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, that’s one of the things I miss about no longer working in a professional kitchen.
      I’ve looked at getting one for home use, but they’re pretty spendy for what is essentially a one trick pony. Granted, it’s a good trick...but a lot for what is pretty much a souped up broiler.

Thanks Willy for that reminder that I forgot my other question: How hot is too hot? Is there such a temperature?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've no idea how hot is too hot.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a too hot temperature. Kenji did a sear over a forge that was too hot.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I tried one in the sun one time, didn't work out too well, it melted my tongs.....

I think if you want to get hotter than the temp your grill grates can go, and don't want to deal with flames, just go for a cast iron skillet as hot as you can get it. That solid cast iron won't let any flames develop, and you probably can take it hotter than is safe with Grill Grates.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Cast iron burn spices and fat? Radiant vs conductive heat?

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      In dead of winter I do blackened steaks in a blazing hot cast iron skillet. I've not really noticed the steaks actually being burned. Just seared nice and dark on each surface. I dip 'em in butter, coat them in the blackening seasoning, then toss in the skillet, and wait for the smoke alarm to go off.

Five years, eh? Congratulations, you’ll catch up with us in thirty-three years. May that perfect sear come sooner!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Sooner! I have a birthday coming up with a special hat being delivered! I get to pick my meat out! What should I go with? Something to try the ultimate sear!

Broiling is the key. My fave hard searing method is to place my chimney starter with about a half of coals directly over my steak.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Crud...more stuff to try!! 😃

• BBQ_Steve-O
      BBQ_Steve-O commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting video. I am going to give that a try sometime this week. Thanks!

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Really like this - definitely will be trying it

Looks like the rub was designed to burn into a superior crust.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Ergo, what is in that crust? What are the spices? Is it coffee that makes the difference?

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      See the video I posted below for their technique. I didn’t taste the rub, so I can’t guess the rub.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it was just a general question

I don't know how Capital Grill does it but I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in a Don Shula's Steakhouse kitchen several years ago. Some of the best steak I've had. They use a tray over that I believe ran at about 1500 deg if I'm not mistaken. They sear the steak in the tray oven using the radiant heat above and the hot grill (tray) making awesome grill marks along the way and finish the steaks in a 500 deg convection oven.

Comment

Originally posted by lonnie mac View Post
      Broiling is the key. My fave hard searing method is to place my chimney starter with about a half of coals directly over my steak.
      I second this. Do the grate on top of a chimney method.

Here's the picture of it - the second photo in the article.

Here are four offbeat methods for cooking steaks that work amazingly well: The Afterburner Method where you cook on a hot charcoal chimney, the Vigneron Method where you cook with twigs, the Caveman Method where you cook right on hot coals, and the Stripsteak Method where you sous vide in butter then sear on a grill.
      Last edited by jfmorris; December 11, 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        Been doing that for years brother. The bottom broil method will yield much more searing. The top is just to finish it.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks lonnie mac - I’ll try the bottom broil.

Dry age + Infrared broiler.

Dry aged steaks sear better, in my experience.

Comment

'Nuff said.

But seriously, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse advertises that they cook their steaks at 1500*. I assume that they mean they sear at 1500*. I've been thinking on this subject too. I think the next time I want a good steak, I'll pull it off the indirect side 20* - 30* below my finished temp so that I can sear it longer. I may even rest it away from the heat a bit every time I flip it so that the interior can cool a bit. That should help with keeping the interior temp under control. An d I may not use any spices other than a salt brine until almost completely seared. That should prevent burned spices.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet 🔥 thrower. I’d like to see that in action on a 🥩!

Although this little guy is a bit pricey, here's one for your table top at home that claims to sear at 1500*.

Otto Wilde

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Less expensive than the Vulcan (below)!

The Capital Grill in Minneapolis uses something similar to this unit. From Vulcan.

Last time I was at Capital, I asked the waiter if I could check out the searing station, where they were doing the steaks. He obliged and let me see it. It was pretty awesome to watch. Although, I must say, the smell was the best part.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, when I build my dream kitchen that’ll be right be low the big cabinet combi-oven.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep! That would be amazing. Potkettleblack

• nikolausp
          nikolausp commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow.... that $2,600 Vulcan is now $4,600, just 5 years later.

For me the ultimate sear comes from the Big Green Egg. It does it fast, and it is hard to mess up with a little experience.
        Big Green Egg for larger cuts.
        Medium Green Egg for steaks.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Not your KBQ grate? BTW check out what hogdog6 had to say about using his Uuni Pro to sear on the "Uuni Pro has arrived" thread. (No, I'm not being disgustingly commercial here). Chimney of Insanity and BBQ Dragon attached should be pretty impressive too, though I haven't tried that use.

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Uuni does an amazing sear, part of the reason I wanted one was to sear my
          SV-BQ and having now used it for that purpose I’m not disappointed, it was fantastic. Bonus it cooks pizza too.

• BBQPhil
          BBQPhil commented
          Editing a comment
          I also find I can get a great charred sear on my BGE. Cook 2-3 inch steaks at 250-300 to bring internal temp to 115F, then open all vents to get temp to 600-700 and sear a couple of minutes on each side. Get a fully blackened finish. Much better than grill grates that only sear along the ridge lines.

So the guys from Sous Vide Everything on YouTube did a playoff-style series on searing steaks after sous vide cooking. They tried everything from the Slow'n'Sear to the Searzall to cast iron and more. It was a nicely done series and was fun to watch, if for nothing else than the drool factor. You should check it out.

Bottom line is that at the end of it all, the winner was THIS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_11750.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	422790

So... can anyone guess what is in this Harbor Freight box sitting next to my desk?????

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171212_133635-XL.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	422791

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I use it to light the logs in the stickburner

• BBQ_Steve-O
          BBQ_Steve-O commented
          Editing a comment
          I call that my charcoal starter. For those times when I want to start cooking in 5 minutes, which is every time. Except mine doesn't have that nifty starter on it. I guess I'm gonna have to make steaks twice this week... once for the method lonnie mac suggested and once to try this. I just hate to eat steak twice in the same week, but I'm doing it for science!

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Really? 450,000 BTU is enough? 2,000 degrees will work? I might just get one of those - dual purpose, kill weeds AND sear steaks! What? - a 32 ft hose included? Sounds versatile! Mini version of that flame thrower shown earlier - maybe just 1 steak at a time instead of 1,000!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here