Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m searching for the ULTIMATE sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used this with good results.

With any propane torch, you want to keep the food out of the flame. Otherwise it may end up tasting like propane.

Main thing about this method is that it doesn't quite feel like cooking to me. But it does work, that's for sure.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d love to see a picture if you can!

Did someone say they wanted an ultimate sear?

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Do they make a home version of that?

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty darn cool!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder what it is - don't do Facebook 🙃

forgot to chime in with my experiment with the home made char crust. Flour had an off, burnt taste. Cornstarch was great. time to take it to the next level with my own seasoning instead of St.Elmos. heavy on the salt and cornstarch, and then next is sugar. ill keep working on it. java has me intrigued.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep it going! I had Char Crust (Peppercorn Garlic) on pork chops last night. Seared with my no grate technique. It was awesome. But, I’m going to Raleigh next weekend and I’m going to see if I can find that Java flavor of Char Crust.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus, someone on here told me about Oak Ridge has a similar Java flavor. I’m going to try that too.

I sear over a open fire. My stick burner fire boxes open on the top as well as the side. When I want to sear steaks I throw a couple of oak splits in the fire let it build up a good flame. Throw a grate over the opening and then throw the steaks on. Get a excellent char flavored crust!
    Just another reason everyone should own at least one stick burner!

Comment

I finally found some coffee crust season for my steaks. This is from Oak Ridge BBQ, and I found it at Grill Billies BBQ in Raleigh, NC. The USDA Prime Filets turned out awesome!

The three videos below are a slow mo sear close up, a time lapse of me lighting my charcoal chimney (BBQ Dragon fan too), and a full 4 minute video of the no grate technique (pitch fork method).

SV at 137, cold shock, avacado oil and Carne Crosta seasoning, seared, then enjoyed!
      Attached Files

Comment

Great job on these videos Scott. I'm glad you got the sear worked out.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Looks great!

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Man that looks good!

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

I've come a long way since opening this thread, but thanks to you all, I think I've finally got a searing technique that works for me. I think the secret is the charcoal chimney no-grate (cold grate technique would work too), plus the steak seasoning. It forms a CRUST (lemme tell ya). Char Crust or the Oak Ridge Carne Crosta works phenomenal! Hopefully others find this thread helpful. I was struggling for a while to finally nail it down.

Comment

Saw this, and others more expensive.

Ended up with chimneys. Next time I’ll find the flat skewers and ditch the grate. For under $100 bucks worth of multitaskers it’s hard to beat this.

The fan gets both chimneys roaring. Then can hit from top and bottom as needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FF9A18BF-F156-4A08-8CEA-C4FD30A42D45.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	513629

Name:	C5447AED-7F8A-4F59-8CAA-CF06DD1BE237.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	513630

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Easy, easy price of 900 dollars. Wow! Yeah, charcoal chimney works great. I like to hover my steak over top the coals. Gets that radiant heat!!! Not conductive!!!

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I was impatient and couldn’t find my skewers. Next time.

The dragon set up is also helpful for the impatient.

Is "overkill"a hyphenated word???

Comment

That BBQ Dragon is something else! Not to mention the Chimney of Insanity!

Comment

EdF I’m sure other chimneys would do a great job, but the Dragon and Chimney of Insanity really super charge things. I’m very happy with the purchases! I just wish I would’ve figured that out a long time ago! The cold/no-grate technique really, really helped!

Comment

UPDATE:
              I am continuing to use the "Flamethrower/Weed-burner" to sear meat, however, if the meat contains a large amount of fat, it renders, drips into the Weber Kettle, catches on fire, and basically coats the meat with a sooty, nasty black oily smoke that tastes like creosote.
              This is not to mention the fact that a very large oil fire then erupts inside the Weber Kettle that makes removing the meat difficult.
              So...
              I went to Home Depot and purchased some concrete blocks and expanded metal.
              Then went to Autozone and purchased a metal drip pan and a bag of absorbent.
              -
              Lastly, I proceeded to build what I have now renamed my new...
              Super Sear Station!
              -

Go HERE to find the photos and results of this easy and cheap build.
              -
              Smoke On!
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 9, 2018, 08:12 PM. Reason: (Playing with font and color just because I can)

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
                BBQ_Steve-O commented
                Editing a comment
                Good job bro - I like it! And if you ever run out of propane, you can just lay your brisket on your Super Sear Station grate and let that Phoenix sun do the searing!

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL!
                Phoenix IS hot! Thank you sir.
                I am very satisfied with the... speed, control, color, and best of all, the incredible flavor of the sear.

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                In regards to meat.. God likes BBQ
                Exodus 12:9 states: Don't eat any of it raw or boiled in water, but roast the whole animal over a fire.
                -
                I be doing that "fire" thing!

Overkill V2.0. Using skewers for a more even sear.

Name:	AEFE3042-8637-413D-8278-98ABDBB801F7.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	516351

Name:	AC7BC739-98CB-4C19-899B-E281830142CD.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	516352

Name:	2A95DE0C-C05E-4532-AB61-FD7565062BDA.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	516350

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice work!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here