Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomer kosher briskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomer kosher briskets?

Found these at Wegman’s, it looks to me like it’s a point but who knows, the package is vacuum sealed and it may be a chameleon flat.

I looked the the brand up online and it says, "washed and salted". Which is fine with me, I was going to salt it anyhow, now I don’t have to. I also learned about Glatt, and this meat is kosher but not Glatt. I don’t care myself, but I did find it interesting.

I’m not going to smoke this, I’m going to do it deli style in a Dutch oven and see where that takes me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E97C769B-FBBE-44F7-9FE4-2021E0E6C912.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	418611

Be interested in your experience with it!

Comment

Looks like a point, to me.

Comment

Don't hold back! Tell us / show us how it goes!

Comment

Looks like a point to me too.

Comment

point. pull it, chop it, slice it...or BURNT ENDS!!! however you do it...EAT THAT BAD MAMAJAMA

Comment

Hmmm Dutch oven eh? How’s that done?

Comment

Looks and sounds interesting!

Comment

I'm doing this tomorrow. From Pat LaFrieda's book Meat.

1 brisket (about 4 pounds)
                  1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
                  1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                  6 cups beef stock (Brown Veal Stock or low-sodium store-bought beef stock), or as needed
                  1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
                  1/2 cup honey
                  1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                  1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

SERVES 6

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
                  2. Season the brisket with 1 tablespoon of the salt and the pepper and put it in a large Dutch oven. Add enough stock to just cover the brisket. Cover and bake until the meat is fork-tender, 4 to 41/2 hours.
                  3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, and cloves.
                  4. Remove the brisket from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Pour out and discard the braising liquid from the roasting pan. Spoon the sauce over the brisket and use the back of the spoon to coat the meat on both sides.
                  5. Return the brisket to the oven to roast until a candied crust forms on the outside, about 10 minutes. Remove the brisket, sprinkle it with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing it. Cut the brisket against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’d finish it off on my pellet smoker after the braise, but that’s me. Careful on the salt if pre-salted, don’t want a Lots wife experience !!

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm going to cut a small piece off and fry it first to see how salty it is. It might be salted and washed, it might be brined and washed, who knows. Taste.

With all that sugar, I'm going to crust it in the oven. And, firing up the charcoal for a few minutes of finishing is a PITA. You pellet guys, there's another advantage!

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a fun cook Mosca. I hope you post results. Good Luck.

This is two points and a flat. The points are insanely fatty, like SRF; the flat is ridiculously lean. They weren’t all that salty, I followed the recipe regarding the amount of salt, but I used no-salt beef stock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3D318FAF-07B6-4B1C-92AE-6543B0F0C18E.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	419604
                  Attached Files

Comment

The flavor is fantastic. The meat is so tender, I have to slice it veerrrrrry slowly, or it falls apart.

The honey/sugar/cinnamon/cloves, eh. That was a pita and not better than spg. There’s a reason people say to spg, sear, and braise.

Braising brisket might seem like heresy on a bbq site, but briskets have been braised for centuries. This is why. 4 hours, tender and delicious! No smoke, but not everything has to be smoked. Delicious is delicious, how you get there is secondary.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here