Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide prime rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide prime rib

I know here I go again... with the turkey tasting amazing and my brisket tasting amazing using the dual cook sous vide and smoked method. I’m wondering about doing a prime rib for xmas dinner that way. Or should I just stick to smoking it. Was thinking about doing a 120 degree for 2 - 3 hours then smoking king it or putting it on the grill to finish it off. Thoughts?

Depends on whether you want smoke or not. I'd give it three hours in any case, and chill if you decide to smoke it (probably for another 2+ hours). Best think about your bag capacity.

Comment

I would just smoked it but again I’m not a SV fan.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! X 2

Rotisserate it with some oak smoke!!!!

Comment

Never thought about the rotisserie. Interesting idea. What temp would you do it at?

Comment

SV would work. I’d go to 131 for about 3-hours, but then ice bath to drop the temperature before searing on the grill.

Comment

Depending on the format (how many bones) you will probably want more time than 3 hours on the Sous Vide. At three bones, you probably need 4-5 hours to cook the interior. Beyond there, the time levels off, as thickness doesn’t really increase much with extra bones.

120 is not safe.

Comment

• Baltassar
              Baltassar commented
              Editing a comment
              What he said: 120 is not safe.

I usually cook at 150 but was thinking since I wanted it rare to do it lower. You think 150 at 2.5 to 3 then finishing in the smoker would be the way to go?

Comment

I know others may disagree with this but SV at 150* then searing is NOT going to give you a medium rare result, which is what I would want with prime rib. I've had good results with SV prime beef at 135*, ice bathing then searing to get the desired medium rare result. If I was to SV at 150*, ice bath and sear my IT would jump well above that. But I'm not sure what you are shooting for.

One other thought would be to do some rotisserie smoking prior to the SV bath. That way you get a smoky profile in your meat as well as the tenderness the bath will give you. Something I do with chuckies regularly.

Comment

This is about how I would go. Note: I am obsessed with preserving the spinalis muscle in medium rare Perfection, which is hard with lots of searing.
                ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

129* is in the safe zone and good for shocking and LT storage.

To build something more smoky, instead of the pre-sear, I would smoke it for half an hour, while it is wet and fridge cold. 225, an hour maximum.
                this is a flavor step, like their pre sear. Same idea, different process.

If you want it like rotisserie or smoked, probably not the herb and egg white trick. I will likely be doing that, though, because it’s gonna be too cold for the grill here in late December. I would use my purge process (the Sous vide sticky), before doing their jus, as mine will be a more attractive sauce.

Instead of oven for finish, grill. If you have grillgrates, close proximity smoking would be great here.

Comment

I just did three bones SV for 5 hours at 131 for medium rare. It was very tender to the point of difficult to keep slices from falling apart. Taste was excellent, presentation not so great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here