Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magical Moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magical Moments

Tried a new butcher tonight. The New York Strip was nice but not a great piece of meat. The ribeyes were spectacular but I didn't want 1 pound + steaks. Oh my, they did look good though.

Prepped the steak, smoked it on the pellet popper and then a reverse sear. The reverse sear has been a work in progress for me, but I've been getting better with time and practice. Tonight, it finally all came together. First time all the pieces to the puzzle fit together perfectly.

That was literally the best NY Strip I've produced in 40 years of grilling. Pure magic. I savored the steak and am basking in the glow of success. Ahh, but now to repeat ...

You gotta love when a plan finally comes together, Congrats!

Comment

Congrats brother, that is the best feeling. Hope you can replicate.

Comment

Gotta love it. I had my first real success a couple of weeks ago with a Ribeye. My Mother-In-Law told me " that was a "30 dollar dinner”.

Comment

I don't smoke my steaks, but I've often wondered if the people who do are still cooking the steaks to say, medium rare? Walk me through it if you wouldn't mind?

Comment

Wonderful news! Glad it’s working!

Comment

Ahem there pilgrim, did something happen here? I didn’t think so. Sorry fella.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Never happened.

It's not really smoking the steaks. It's cooking them indirect until they reach 10 degrees or so below your target temperature and then moving them to the direct side to sear them to the desired temperature. You can use this method for whatever doneness you want. My ribeyes took about 20 minutes indirect and then just a couple of minutes of searing to get a good medium.

Comment

SteveFromLafayette Smoking is a small byproduct of the "low and slow" part of reverse searing. What you are trying to do is cook the steak very slow so that it cooks evenly without overcooking. Once it reaches your preferred temp, (10* to 20*), below final temp, you place it over a very hot fire to sear the outside. The goal is to get the outside dark brown while the inside is med. rare, or whatever you prefer.

Comment

I'm familiar with low and slow and reverse searing. Smoking implies that you're imparting smoke flavor by means of the addition of hardwoods to your fire. If you're sticking with charcoal or gas, then I'm not so sure that "smoking" is the correct term. That's assuming you're waiting until your charcoal's fully lit before placing your meat onto the grill (which I hope you are).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveFromLafayette View Post
                    I don't smoke my steaks, but I've often wondered if the people who do are still cooking the steaks to say, medium rare? Walk me through it if you wouldn't mind?
                    Others explained it well. The smoke from the pellets is right for me, so I don't add additional but you could. When I'm about 10 degrees away from my target temp (130 is right for me) then I put over direct flame for the reverse sear. 120 would be medium rare.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
                      SteveFromLafayette commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, which wood do you recommend for your pellets?

• Aimless1
                      Aimless1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like Mesquite and Hickory. I used Mesquite for this cook.

• Mudkat
                      Mudkat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great!

Glad to hear of your success Aimless1 Aimless ! Love to see the pics of your next steak!

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hint, hint.

• Mudkat
                      Mudkat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      😀😀

• Aimless1
                      Aimless1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll try to do better .

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here