Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traveling Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling Prime Rib

Ive been asked to cook a prime rib for Christmas and I want to follow meatheads recipe on my WSM, however, I need to transport the roast to the destination and serve it 2 to 3 hours later. Should I roast at 225 till it gets to 115ish? then hold in a faux cambro and finish on his weber gas grill there? Or take it all the way to medium rare and sear it and hold in cambro? Or forget the wsm and just use the gas grill or oven on site? Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Great question. I'd have to say if I were in that situation I personally would opt for option A, take it to just under target temp (ready to sear) and wrap it really good & tight in foil and towels. Then sear the daylights out of it when you get there so you serve HOT and not overcooked meat, with that crispy crust. If you were to finish it at your place and then transport it, carryover cooking would surely raise the IT above the ideal, and even if you tried to compensate by searing it to say 125-130, you still may end up with lukewarm and soggy crust and a drier roast with lots more jus in the foil.

Comment

I would cook it at the destination. Travel time plus 3 hours of holding is too much time in the danger zone. I'd be concerned with food safety.

Comment

Thanks! This is what I was leaning towards but was worried whether it would survive the 2 or 3 hour rest. But I want the flavor from the wsm. Thanks for the help!

Comment

What we do in the restaurant is to cook to 110-115, remove, chill, then wrap in several layers of foil. Then, for service, heat in a 350 oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the prime rib and what your final temp is. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. You can sear at the end,if you like. After cooking/reheating 6-20 prime ribs a day for ten years, this is the simplest method I know. Other opinions may vary, of course, but we never get complaints from the prime rib(s) we serve this way. Just remember, cook the prime to 1 temperature under your final cook temp and you will be golden.
          Last edited by Strat50; December 17, 2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
            Just remember, cook the prime to 1 temperature under your final cook ten and you will be golden.
            Strat I like the first part of your suggestion, but, I don't know what you meant by this sentence.

Comment

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              I meant temp. I have since corrected the error.

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              In the biz, we refer to temp as rare , med rare, etc. It is assumed the chef can use a thermometer and knows the target temperature for Rare, med-rare, and so forth. So, if you want a finished prime at medium, cook it to med rare before chilling, for example. My apologies for any confusion.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification Strat. Good advice all around.

Strat, by chill do you mean refrigerate?

Comment

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes.

Great post my friend

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here