Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wozniak Way for Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wozniak Way for Brisket

Has anyone tried the Wozniak Way as described by Meathead for brisket, but instead of smoker or oven for day 2, using a slow cooker? I'm going to Thanksgiving dinner elsewhere and will be bringing brisket, but there is no possible way to drag my smoker with me, and I'm afraid the oven is going to be working overtime as it is. The thought came to mind that I could use a slow cooker to bring the brisket up to the usual probe tenderness (leaving it wrapped, of course).

I've done it with a brisket flat and chuck before in a Crock Pot. I usually add some sort of liquid, like beef broth, which in essence warms it up with a slow braise. Adds moisture back to the meat that may have dried out a little. That's my two cents worth JCGrill !!

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      So you cooked your brisket all the way on the smoker and warmed it in the crock pot? Or you finished the cook in the crock pot?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I apologize JCGrill I re-read your post, I thought you were smoking it first and bringing it cooked THEN warming it up. That's what I would do. As far as cooking a brisket in the slow cooker, sorry but never tried it. Again apologies for my mis-cue.
      Last edited by Troutman; November 14, 2017, 04:47 PM.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem! That idea works too, just wanted to make sure I understood.

Should work!

Comment

Slow cooker would be my tool of last resort, though the wife likes it.
      Before I would slow cook it, I would:
      Smoke it
      Sous Vide it
      braise it in a dutch oven with the lid cracked
      pressure cook it

Slow cookers are kind of the worst, aside from convenience.

I'm going to argue that in almost all situations in which you'd use a slow cooker, you are better off choosing one of two other options: a Dutch oven placed on a rack in a 225°F oven, or a pressure cooker. I know it's a bold statement, but hear me out before you dismiss the idea.

Comment

Here's what I just did for a neighborhood block party. I did pork butts, cooked them to done (203°F-ish), faux Cambroed for a couple of hours, cooled, pulled (coarsely), then vacuum sucked 'em and put 'em into a cooler full of ice. Next day, I put the bags into a big pot of water, heated them for a couple of hours, then dumped 'em into a CrockPot with a little chicken stock for moisture. I was pleased with this method. Perhaps with brisket, smoke til done, faux Cambro, then cut into vacuum bag sized chunks, reheat in bags the next day 'til hot, then slice to serve or slice/shred and into a CrockPot?

Comment

Ripped from the pages of The Pit, here's Jerod Broussard 's method of Cooldown/Reheat for fully-Smoked Brisket.

1. Remove brisket and place on racks at room temperature to cool. They are either wrapped, or get wrapped when they come off the pit if they made it all the way without getting wrapped. If I have them in foil I add some water to coat the bottom, whenever they get wrapped, be it during the cook, or after. DOT NOT PUT IN A CAMBRO OR SOMETHING SIMILAR, THAT WILL LEAD TO POSSIBLE OVERCOOKED BRISKET ON THE REHEAT.

2. I let them sit at room temperature for a couple hours until they are kinda cool to the touch and not piping hot. I have left thermometers in the thickest part of the flat to watch the temp. drop, making sure I put it in the freezer before it gets below 135.

3. I will leave in the freezer until they are absolutely cool to the touch, so I don't jack up the fridge and/or the food in the fridge.

4. I don't typically leave in the fridge for more than 2-3 days. I never purposely froze them, but have had at least 1 get frozen when other people were in charge of getting them out the freezer.

5. To reheat, just get that sucker in a 300 degree oven and take to 165 internal.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            There in lies the problem for him, he may not have an oven to use. That's why I suggested using the slow cooker warm up for his pre-smoked meat. Again its not ideal but it works.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, Couldn't he could rewarm it in the oven and cambro it all the way to grandmama's house?

K.

Could you bring it back up to probe tender temp in your oven/smoker at home, then cambro it for the ride over until serving?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I've brought back up to 165-170 and cambro'd for 3 hours with awesome results. The reason I only go back up to 165-170 is I've already gone to probe tender on the initial cook.

• Daddio on the Patio
            Daddio on the Patio commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point, assuming it was already previously cooked to probe tender. No need to take it back up to that temp.
            Last edited by Daddio on the Patio; November 14, 2017, 12:42 PM.

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            I have to smoke 2 points the day before Thanksgiving....
            I am thinking I will smoke to probe tender, cool down ala Jerod then vacuum seal. Next day - can I put in a sous vide bath at 165F for a few hours?

Sounds like you need a PBC or PBJ

Comment

I'm with Potkettleblack on sous vide. Brisket will taste like it was just done (perfectly!).

Comment

An oven is not an option, as I said. I don't see a pot of water working for the same reason I don't see the oven working - no room! In this case I am traveling Wednesday night about 300 miles, staying in a hotel, and going to the host's house on Thursday. Therefore anything related to what I have at my house won't work. But sous vide could be an option - my biggest concern there would be how long it would take to get up to temp. Any thoughts on whether this would be faster or slower than a slow cooker? A pressure cooker could also be an option.

Potkettleblack Thanks for the link, I find that interesting, but the argument seems to be that slow cookers aren't as good at cooking, so maybe I should be considering smoking all the way to done, and simply using the slow cooker to reheat. It seems like if I want to finish the cook, best to consider sous vide or pressure cooker. If I want to reheat, then any of the three probably will work.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I say bingo !!!!!

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Sous Vide will reheat WAAAAAAYYYY more efficiently than a slow cooker. Way more efficiently. Just need a spare bucket and your stick.

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Why couldn't you set your cooler up for sous vide? Got to transport the brisket there, right?

I don't know where my head is at......I have the perfect solution to your problem......you get your brisket cooked and write a review at the same time .......

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoBQ.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	410718

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                Bwaaaaahaaahaa!

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman Thats a great image! I have a similar image lol
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 14, 2017, 07:47 AM.

In your situation, I would definitely reheat with sous vide. Do you have a circulator? If not can you boil some water when you get there?

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                I have an Anova, so it's an option.

SV??

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                sous vide

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes! That was mybthought.. Great minds...

Has anyone tried a countertop roaster?

Sam Higgins, a longtime pitmaster finishes his briskets in roasters after wrapping in foil.

Here's an example:

https://smile.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTR...tertop+roaster

CandySueQ
              Last edited by gcdmd; November 15, 2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Costco has a tabletop that is supposed to hold a 20 lb turkey. That might work.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like a slow cooker with a stronger element.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                When I was a kid there were always a few of those in the church basement.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here