Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iffy boneless short ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iffy boneless short ribs.

I found some short ribs at a local grocery I don't normally go to - it's 30 min from home and out of the way. I dry brined them and then couldn't cook 'em, so I froze them. Fast forward several weeks and I took them out of the freezer andput them in the refrigerator. Again I had to freeze them because I didn't have time to cook them. Well, I finally got to 'em last week

I was worried how freezing several times would affect them, but I shouldn't have worried because they came out great. The rub is low sodium Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I6295-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	406733

Name:	CM7I6297-Edit.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	406734

Name:	CM7I6298-Edit.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	406732

Beautiful!

Comment

by dry brining, even thought the cells ruptured due to multiple freezing, it was able to maintain its moisture. Dry brining with salt retains moisture around the cells, phosphates drive the moisture INTO the cells (from what I understand, I don't use them currently, but am thinking about it). On accident you did the exact thing you needed to in that situation! Congrats, and YUM those look good. Beef ribs to ME are the best there is (close second to a good brisket). BTW what is that rub, Montreal steak seasoning?

Comment

They look crazy delicious.

Comment

Wonderful!!!

Comment

Looks awesome! IMO: the "deleterious" aspects of freezing (&/or refreezing) are vastly over exaggerated!!! I do it fairly frequently with no appreciable downside. Cook on!!! Enjoy!
            Last edited by HorseDoctor; November 5, 2017, 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Great lookin' ribs, Nice Job!!!

Comment

Those look fabulous!! I agree. All the cell rupture stuff though true lanes the most difference on delicate stuff. Beef is man food!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BEEF IS MAN FOOD !!!! That just makes me want to thump my chest and swing from tree to tree !!!!

Wow those came out really nice !!! I'm just curious if those really are ribs. Did they just cut them off the bone??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here