Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Chuck Roast... Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Chuck Roast... Now what?

Last week I sous vide'd a chuck roast at 131F for 24 hours. It was cut into two main hunks and a smaller third piece all bagged individually and seasoned with S & P. One hunk went directly from the water bath to the blackstone griddle. Seared, sliced, served and gone. But I left the two other pieces in the bath for another 12 hours and then iced them and they have been safely in the fridge since. So now I have a couple of cooked pieces of chuck and I am looking for ideas on how to cook them within a day or so. Chili is an obvious but kinda boring choice.

So how would you finish this hunk o meat?

Pictures are from the first hunk o meat so you can get an idea of what I still have remaining.

Thanks -
    Attached Files

I'd smoke them a couple/three hours.

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d definitely smoke them. I also like to cube, add little sauce, put in a CI pan and back on the heat till caramelized. Mmmm Chuck burnt ends.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      ditto

Pulled with a little sauce on a sandwich with cole slaw.

Comment

Eat them!

Comment

Put some smoke on one of them and make pot pies. Either buy a pie crust or use this recipe:

This both the easiest pie dough recipe I have found and the best. I've never had it fail.

Comment

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that RonB and SWMBO will probably love them being done Butte pasty style.

Like Daddy o kmhfive says, slaw, pulled on a soft bun. I ate two chucked almost exclusively that way and could not get enough. I spiced one up a bit and that cool slaw was fantastic!

Comment

Like others have said, smoke them for a while and pull the meat like pulled pork. I'm not sure how long to recommend you smoke them with the SV being at 131, I usually SV Chucks that I intend to pull at 155 for 36 to 48 hours and after the chill just smoke for roughly 2 hours for flavor and to get the temps back up. In addition to pulled beef sandwiches with bbq sauce (which are awesome) I also recommend making a steak and cheese sandwich with some of the pulled beef. Just throw some onions and peppers (or whatever you like on your normal steak and cheese sandwiches) in a skillet , then add the beef and top with some cheese. The tender beef with they smokey flavor is my favorite steak and cheese anymore!

Comment

After "Seared, sliced, served and gone." I would be tempted to just do a repeat performance . I rarely find a nice tender piece of medium rare beef boring!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here