Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket sliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket sliders

Hello to all. I have been asked to smoke brisket for a bank open house. The question is, how many pounds of brisket do I need for "sliders" for 250 people? I plan on smoking just flats. Thank you!!!

Wow! That would be a big cook! I’d defer to someone like PaulstheRibList for experience with that large a cook. I assume that folks wouldn’t expect this to be a full "lunch" so about a quarter pound per person uncooked weight would be my first estimate — 62.5 pounds of brisket or about 4-5 in the 15-16 pound range.

Comment

• kbremer
      kbremer commented
      Editing a comment
      I was also thinking that amount also. They will be having finger foods........dips, cheese, shrimp.......which my wife is doing. We did they bank Christmas party last year....275 people......I did the brisket........140 lbs.......and they was hardly any leftovers........thanks!!!

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a spreadsheet for that!

How many sides will be there?

Comment

• kbremer
      kbremer commented
      Editing a comment
      They are having finger food.......dips cheese ect........they want sliders also. I have done briskets for 300 but never sliders for 250........thanks for your help....

Paul would for sure. A good rule of thumb when the meat is the main course is about 1/2lb raw weight per person, with sides. Being sliders, the meat won't be the larger part of the meal most likely, so I'd say you could probably get by with half that. But this is of course a rough ballpark.

Edit, just seen kmhfive's post, looks like he & I are in agreement, didn't mean to copy your thought!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Great minds think alike - and all that!

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Just sharing what y’all have taught! It’s all good.

• kbremer
      kbremer commented
      Editing a comment
      they will also be having finger food.......cheese, shrimp, dips.......sliders is where I have no idea. I thought 1/4 of pound also.....share your thoughts!!!

Have fun with that cook and share pics with us

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome news kbremer !

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      A reverse flow stickburner how awesome is that! I know you will have fun with that

• kbremer
      kbremer commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a huge reverse flow before, but I could not use it they way I wanted. Schroder Mach in Shelton Nebr, Marlin, once traveled the BBQ comp, and he knows what it take to build smokers.....prices are very reasonable also....check him out........

To add something further, think about waste with brisket too. You might get 3-5 lbs trimmings from each, so factor that into your final calculations of how much to start with. Obviously it's better to have leftover than run short.

Comment

I know this dont help now but should in the future. I have started keeping a log book on how much we have left after a big feed. Been writing down how many people and sides were their. Then how much was left over and this has helped better caculate how many pounds to use in future cooks.

Comment

• kbremer
        kbremer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advise and I have kept a notebook on the meats but........sliders???? I think I will go with 50 to 60 lbs and let the feeding begin!!!!

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        My note taking sure could be better. But I seem to always cook more than needed!

Isn't this fun!! I calculate a regular serving at 4 oz of cooked. When you have multiple offerings, the Oz per person will go down. The signature item may be all used up, but the Oz/Person on the other items will be lower. Most of the time, Brisket is the star, and gets eaten the most, as it should!

If you are having multiple items, I'd say 2.5 oz per person is a safe bet on a "slider," and you would have some left over for the inevitable snacking that folks will want after they taste how great your brisket is. Slider for me is the roll they make at Sams makes a great slider. I really like those rolls, and they also make fantastic Smoked Bread Pudding (but that's another thread).

My brisket yield is right about that 50%. So, 2.5 oz x 250 x 50% = 78 pounds raw / 12 pound avg brisket = 6.5 full briskets.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-26.png
Views:	258
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	401964

If you do just flat's, you'll have to adjust. Depending on how they trim them, they may have a lower % of fat that is trimmed before smoking.

That's what I'd do, 7 briskets!

This sounds like Fun!

Attached Files

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Great work Paul!

My New Baby.......it will be getting painted today, for pick up tomorrow Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	405309

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here