Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder steak?

One of my favorite BBQ/grill/smoked things to eat is pulled pork. But the wife has an odd sensitivity to pork, so I can't do pulled pork. I've had shredded beef in the past and really liked it, so I'm going to give that a try in the KJ.

Anyway, I dug around here and on some other sites. I know that other cuts will work fine, but it looks like predominant wisdom is to use chuck. I stopped over at a local grocery/butcher shop to look at what's there. I was looking at the chuck to see what I'd be dealing with. I think it was $5.99/lb. But right next to it was something they labeled as "shoulder steak" for $2.99/lb. It looked A LOT like the chuck and was the same thickness. Unfortunately I chose a day when the butcher isn't there and the guy stocking the meat display didn't seem to be all that knowledgeable. I won't be doing this until at least next week, so I didn't buy anything.

Anyone seen shoulder steak? Is this likely a steak cut from a shoulder clod roast? Would I cook this the same as chuck? I know I'm talking about a long cook, but how long are we talking? I've never done anything longer than about 4 hours. I'm thinking 225-250F grate temps? The chuck and shoulder steaks were in the 5-6lb range.

Thanks

I did a quick google, and it comes from the chuck shoulder roast. It appears that it is very flavorful, but can be tough because it has very little fat.

Here is a link that discusses various ways to cook it:

Shoulder steak is a boneless cut of beef that's often alternatively labeled as London broil, English steak, Swiss steak or beef chuck shoulder steak. It is rich in flavor, typically inexpensive and low in fat; however, "New York Times"

Comment

RonB , I think that might be something different. What I saw was a big thick chunk of meat with a couple of thick veins of fat running through it. Without them labeled, I couldn't tell the difference between chuck and this shoulder steak.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Several sites showed the same thing, so maybe the one you saw was mislabeled...

That fat is intermuscular fat versus intramuscular fat that we all want such as a ribeye. It is a flavorful muscle but does have less fat and can dry out.

have you considered that maybe they were both chuck and it may have been mislabeled?

Comment

Sous Vide. Just did one from a shoulder clod and it was very good.

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          Temp,time how big was it

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoked until about 132* (1 1/2 hours time wise), SV at 155* for 24 hours, seared until done. About 2.5# as I remember.

They could have been mislabeled. I'll check back again on it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here