Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing a chuckie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a chuckie

I'm no butcher, so could easily be way off base, but it seems that chucks vary as to muscle content. Much like a rib eye, with the cap steak, and eye or heart as I call it. Chucks seem to have varying or different muscles in them.

Often, one seems well marbled and another less, with a thick bit of fat and tendons between, like the one on the right in the pic in the post here... https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...f-two-chuckies

The left one is completely different. I rarely see these at the counter, but the one I cooked for my neighbor last weekend was more of those style, and was extremely juicy. Possibly just coincidence?

I'm just wondering if one is that much different than the other, when it comes to juiciness and tenderness, or cooking times.

Is there a 'Money muscle' in a chuck?

Maybe it's all about the marbling? ... which is what I have always looked for primarily.
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; October 21, 2017, 10:52 AM.

I look for the Chuckie with the largest eye and freshest cut date.. beyond that, as long as I see reasonable marbling, I could care less. It's pretty hard to screw up Chuck.

Comment

If we are cooking one for simple indoor pot roast I don't care what they look like.

Out here the Angus brand have better marbling than the downgrade stuff, I prefer the Angus for smoking to pull.

If I am going to cut a piece off to sous vide, I need a piece in that roast that contains a chunk looking like a well marbled ribeye.

Comment

I treat chuck like brisket. look for marbeling, and do the bend test (not to be confused with ribs). cooked a chuck roast yesterday, and a brisket today.

Comment

As long as it has good marbling, good color and good thickness I’m happy.

Comment

I look for fine marbling - not thick strips.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here