Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using bacon as a wrap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using bacon as a wrap.

For those of you who have used bacon to wrap small items (shrimp, meatballs, jalapenoes, etc), at what temp do you usually smoke so that the center item is done and the bacon somewhat crisp? Or is it just trial and error?

I love to make them on the KBQ because of the conviction action of the fans. A pellet grill will also do a great job of this as well. Typically, I cook them at around 350 F. Right now I have some poppers in the oven at 350 F on convention.
    With your YS640, you should have no problem making some killer apps. When I use the KBQ, I set it for about 325 F. You want to make sure you have the temp pumped up so the bacon crisps up.

Comment

• FlaBouy
      FlaBouy commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this because internals on a popper are secondary to getting the bacon to crisp.

I do it in two stages. Smoke until center meat is done then hit her on a hot grill or gridle, rolling it around until crisp. pork lions, ATB, cordon blu, chicken thighs, moink balls, all the same. You can change the bacon for prochutto and it crisps at smoking temps if you like.

Comment

I am more of the camp on 375-400 for bacon wrapped. Same as if you are roasting on the grill in a sheet pan. I have also par microwaved bacon to get it a little closer to done. This works if you are doing something like a beer can stuffed burger where you don't want the ground beef to cook at a high temp for too long.

Comment

You can also try precooking the bacon until it’ Still flexible enough to wrap whatever you’re wrapping.
        than you can cook at a higher temp. The bacon should be crisp and the shrimp, meatballs ect... done at the same time.
        Last edited by Steve B; October 21, 2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I always cook them around 300 F.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try the high temps. I no longer have the Yoder 640. Now using a Backwoods Chubby G2. I thought I had updated my profile to reflect this but will double check. Main reason for changing smoker. Did not get the flavor profile I was looking for with the pellet. That is the only reason. Loved everything else about it. Will do a quick review of the G2 in this weekend to give my impressions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here