Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket point - burnt ends all over - currently in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket point - burnt ends all over - currently in progress

A few weeks ago I picked up a brisket point from the supermarket and requested ideas for how to treat it. The prevailing response was burnt ends all over. After dealing with a mold issue in my WSM (remediated through two burn outs and a crap ton of scrubbing), I finally start it today to get it ready for the Michigan vs. Penn State game tomorrow (go blue!).

I decided to riff on the chuckies that FlaBouy has been posting about and decided to go with a smoke-sous vide-smoke approach. I dry brined the brisket point overnight with just salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then I put on the WSM this morning at around 250-275 degrees for 3 1/2 hours until it was in the stall and had a nice bark. Then I took it off the smoker and dropped it into the sous vide at 155 degrees. This just happened minutes ago so the rest is up in the air. I'm expecting to keep it in there about 28 hours until around 6pm tomorrow and which point I'm thinking I'll cube it right out of the bath, sauce it and put back onto the smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours and pull just in time for kick off. Still trying to decide what kind of sauce to use. Either bottled bbq or something homemade... probably going to go for a KC style sweet and spicy sauce

To be continued...

Post-dry brine, pre-smoke
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5206.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	398327

After 3 1/2 hours on the WSM

Name:	IMG-5208.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	398326

In the bag about to go in the bath

Name:	IMG-5209.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	398328

Lookin good. Waiting for the finished photos and the report.

Comment

Give this sauce a rip. It will be great with burnt ends. Plus, any Jack you have left over can be drank during the game.

Comment

Nice looking point. Did you happen to check the internals when you pulled it off the grill? I presume some where in the 150-160 range. Just interested in where that went in the bath, because I typically stop short of the bath temp and I want to see what the impact of the extra smoke time has on the texture as it comes out of the bath. I haven't decided what I am going to do this weekend yet. Whatever is on sale on the way home I suppose.. Smoke on brother...

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          I pulled it at 157. It was about an hour into the stall at that point.

This is looking real interesting! Looking forward to the finish!

Comment

Looking good

Comment

shify Yep, I suspected that range or so. Like I said, I tend to pull just short of that for this reason, and take it just as that, I dare say I don't try to tell other people how to cook, because we all have our own path. With that said, I pull prior to the stall for SV because when the meat goes into stall, it starts expelling moisture... it also is where you start building nice bark because of said moisture and the color starts coming on strong. My thought process is, if the meat is going to expel that moisture, and I think I have a couple hours of decent smoke, then I want that moisture expelled during the SV so all those flavors stay in the bag for the hours on end it is working its magic in the SV bag. So I pull just shy of the 150 mark, usually 135-140* and toss into the 155* bath. Now, does any of that mean anything? Who knows. That's why I am watching this one closely for texture when it comes out and to get your impressions on how much smoke flavor comes out the back side. An hour into stall may not be enough downrange to have much impact but hey, that's the fun part of this.. throw it against the wall and see what happens. I suspect either way by the time you call them burnt ends, all of this will be long forgotten. I have my eye on this anyway. Carry on.

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              I get it. At a minimum, I found a source for relatively inexpensive points so if this cook is even just moderately successful I expect to keep on testing and tweaking to see what works and what doesn't or what isn't terrible impactful. Then I'll just have to remember to only change one thing at a time!
              Last edited by shify; October 20, 2017, 06:54 PM.

The point is out of the bath. Super tender and delicious. Cubes it, tossed with some Swet Baby Rays sauce and back on the smoker.

To be continued...

Name:	IMG_5215.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	399016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5214.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	399015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5213.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	399014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	399013

Comment

• FlaBouy
              FlaBouy commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like it held the moisture well... How was the texture compared to pure smoke?

Beautiful!

Comment

Looking good, shify . I'm waiting to hear the results of the taste test.

Kathryn

Comment

The finished product after 1 1/2 hrs on the smoker at ~260. Delicious.

Time for the Michigan game. go Blue!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5217.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	399061

Name:	IMG_5218.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	399070Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5216.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	399060
                Attached Files
                Last edited by shify; October 21, 2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

other than that comment about a team outside of Texas, looks like SOLID post.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here