Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip smoked like a brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dan:

It will be as good as everyone tells you. Its been one of my favorites on the grill for most of my years in Arizona.

Use your kettle / SNS combo, and the DNG underneath. I've done it many times on my Kamado Joe, but I think it comes out better on the kettle/SNS.

Dry brine it overnight.

BBBR or Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust (that's my favorite)

Indirect heat to about 10 degrees below your target temperature. Pull it off.

Crank up the heat (fan over the coals in the SNS to get as hot as you can).

Sear it for 1 minute per side. Then do it again, at 90 degrees. Unless of course, you want to do David Parrish's cold grate sear. Then just keep rotating the grill as you flip it.

I've learned to reverse the roast as well, in case one side of the fire as a little hotter than the other.

Get a cutting board with a groove around it to catch the juices.

I've always laughed about this one. The person (from Eureka CA) that taught me how to cook them the first time, basically had me doing a reverse sear. Slow cook, and then nuke it at the end. Never called it reverse sear, but we were doing that back in the early 80s. (But, only for tri-tip). Didn't even think to try that with steaks.

Second item was one I always cried a little about. This is a very popular dish in Austria. National meal. Tafelspitz. Boiled tri-tip slice

Cut the roast at the bend point in the tri tip as the grain changes direction.

Cut both sides towards the cut you just made to get both sides cut against the grain.

Don't go past medium rare.

Enjoy.

Best regards,
    Jim

PS Don't think you have a Joule yet. If you do, you could also give it a bath for the slow part of the cook.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0612974C-1098-4081-AAB9-142C984F8246.jpeg
Views:	816
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	397892 Here’s one on the KJ
    Last edited by jgg85234; October 19, 2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      jgg85234, Thanks Jim👍👍👍👍👍❗️ This is what I was Thinking about Doing❓ OBTW, I do have a Joule‼️ I Aquired it When Meathead first Endorsed It as a Kickstarter Product❗️ Never Used or Removed from its Box❓
      Thanks Again Jim
      👍👍👍👍👍❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Danjohnston949

just looked closely at the pictures you included. Wondering if they are really guving you a tri-tip. Not enough bend in the roast, not the triangular shape and I don’t see the change in the grain. That might just be a creative cutting and packaging of a bottom round, eye of round or top round.

Another name for a tri-tip is a "triangle" roast.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim, I wouldn't think they (Cash Wise) would be involved in a Shenanigan But❓❓ I wonder if the Cyrovac Pkg isn't distorting the appearance❓
      Thanks for the Pic's and the Help❗️ I still haven't decided how I'm going to Prep and Cook It❓
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 20, 2017, 07:05 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09C71CA2-8DB4-403D-BB34-51B57530D562.jpeg
Views:	783
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	398068Click image for larger version

Name:	71E92447-D9CD-4966-9A97-11985F2345A0.jpeg
Views:	804
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	398067 And, they really are juicy. The part with the grain going the other way was eaten before I remembered to take a photo

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful, Jim❗️ Did You Souix Veee Doooo❓ It before Searing❓ or did You reverse Sear It ❓ Georgious IMHOP‼️
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• jgg85234
      jgg85234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sous vide. This one was in May of 2017, done on my Weber 22 with the SNS. Cook temp 270 then reverse seared.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here