Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two Chuckies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked chuck will definitely kick your chili up several notches. Good luck on the competition.

Comment

Good lookin' cook on the chuckies. Seems to be the cut of choice lately. Got some for SV and smoke this weekend. Good luck on the chili.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill, LOL, I know right. You want to just keep eating it!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        But didn't it look all greyish and unappealing without a sear, Dr ROK and JCGrill ?
        Last edited by fzxdoc; October 17, 2017, 10:16 AM.

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc the outside did a bit, but that beautiful pink interior was very enticing. I managed to stay with the original plan in that instance.

Your Burnt Overalls and the whole chuckie look great, JCGrill . I hope that chuckie in the chili helps you knock out all the competition. It surely should.

So what would you do to the chuck Burnt Overalls to make them better? I'm wondering if, since they don't have the fat content that a brisket point has, they'll never be quite as tender. Your thoughts?

Good luck in the contest!

Kathryn

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn, I'm not sure. I think I left them on a little too long and that probably made some difference, but overall I still enjoyed them. It just didn't seem like the right thing to use as an entrée. I think I would do them again at a party and serve as an appetizer, with a more traditional BBQ dish as the main course. Might be I just found something that is lower on my list of BBQ favorites.

Knock em' dead with that chili JC! You probably have a more sophisticated palate than your work pals or else you would have won the previous competitions. Hope they can appreciate your level of awesomeness.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Could be. We've had some very odd chilis win in the past. In fact one year a vegetarian chili won (I had to admit it was really good). I have only tweaked the ingredients slightly in the past, this year there will be some major differences.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill, a wise cat once said "cast not your pearls before swine."

Looks great! Per a recommendation from a fellow BBQ enthusiast a few years ago, I switched to smoked beef in chili instead of hamburger, and have never looked back. Best of luck to you in the chili contest!

Comment

Biggest problem with a "chili cook off", at least here "up north", is you are at the mercy of the judges and too often their credentials are "they were willing"... Too many of them think tomato soup with hamburger & kidney beans is good chili. Or, they think if it's too hot to taste, it must be good chili. I hate to waste my efforts feeding those morons. Good luck with your entry! I'm sure it'll be awesome!

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          The judges in this case are fellow employees and competitors. Everyone gets a vote. Very fickle from year to year.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          I rest my case...

• sdenue57
          sdenue57 commented
          Editing a comment
          You're right HorseDoctor. I also live "up north". Most of the chili my friends make, and consider good, is very mediocre at best. I lived down south for about 8 years, so I've tasted chili that blows them away. People "up north" just don't know what good chili is! Truth be told though, I usually have to tone down the spice for them. Not so much that you can't taste it though.

Yer chili chuckie looks R4D (Ready for Duty)
        Here's wishin' ya' th' best in yer work comp; fickle is a tough buncha judges to please!
        I hope yer additional mods to yer receipt also bear great fruit, here, but...
        Worst Case Scenario, ya'll will have some great chili to chow down on!

Comment

Well, I decided I was in the mood to make it tonight instead of tomorrow night. So here it is in all its glory (or lack thereof).
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171017_200814.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	397073Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171017_202442.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	397074

Name:	IMG_20171017_202620.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	397075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171017_204650.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	397076

Name:	IMG_20171017_210601.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	397077

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin' Good, so far, brother!

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Wonderful!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd eat that!

Nine chili entries. No results are given besides the winner. I did not win.

On the plus side, I made around 5 quarts, and there was about a cup of mine left, so it was a very popular one. Just not popular enough to win. Oh well.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Stupid Judges! Looked great!

Sorry you didn't take the prize.

I'm guessing you were able to sample the other entries. How do you think they compared to yours? Hotter? Meatier? Possibly it was the boss'?

Comment

We are supposed to be anonymous until the voting is over. All were variations on fairly typical chili; nothing off the wall. The one that won was just another dude. 9 entries, I wouldn't have considered him in my top 3. I asked him about his because I was getting a cilantro flavor. He said he uses taco seasoning and salsa in his. I try not to be a chili snob, when people use unusual ingredients. But that was a little irritating.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, I would consider both cilantro and salsa "add ons", after the fact. Still, I would probably turn in chili that was about 20 percent, or more, parmesan cheese. The off brand, in the plastic tub kind.

I would have judged a taco soup different than a chili. Just saying! Yours sure looked good JCGrill !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here