Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aging Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aging Brisket

There is nothing better then a nice dry aged steak. I was curious if anyone out there dry ages their brisket either through the wet or dry method? If so what is the taste like vs. a non dry aged brisket? Also what is your set up? Thanks in advance.

Never heard of dry aging brisket. Not saying it hasn't be done. Don't think it ranks up there with the succulent primals that can be/should be cooked to medium-rare, that are typically dry-aged.

I try to wet-age my briskets in the fridge at 34-36 degrees for at least 30 days, when possible. That's what's nice about cryovac. You can buy ahead of time when you find a good 'un in the brisket bin at wolly world.

My wife swears that 2 Choice briskets I wet-aged, were better than the others she could compare them to. I know they aged plenty. Maybe closer to 40 days. There was some grayish-black fungal looking chrud on the top of both points that "blossomed" plenty during the aging process. Did they ever stink.....yeh, I HAD to smell-check. I trimmed them off no problem.

I'd like to one day do a side by side comparison. Only problem, briskets are so stinkin' inconsistent. I had two in a box that were twins and cooked TOTALLY different.

I picked one up this morning that I am cooking next week with 3 others. Mini-wet-age.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 12, 2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that past the sell by date?Or just from the pack date?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      When I buy date. They don't last long. And I figure if I can go 45 days if I want, if I go 30, I'm still good if somehow it took the brisket 15 days to get to me.

Here our packing dates are on the box, not on the package.

I'm with Jerod on this one. I try to let my briskets age in the cryo as well. Last one I did was Prime and I aged it for about 30 days. Holy ____ was that thing awesome!!!!! I don't think I will ever make one unless I can age it at least 20 days. It makes a huge difference. But like Jerod said, Briskets are so inconsistent, that being said I think this makes aging all the more prudent. Good luck with yours brother!!!!!!

Comment

Learn something new every day on this site.

Comment

Hey Guy... welcome back, we have missed you!

Comment

Thanks for the input Jerod. Maybe I will try wet aging my next one. I had thought I read Dr.BBQ would wet age every one of his briskets. Can't wait for his webinar.

Ok so pork ribs or butts anyone try dry aging those? http://butcherinfoblog.blogspot.com/...aged-pork.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here