Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with my Brisket so I dont screw up again and my family starts to doubt my skills :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jim, and welcome to the Pit. I just want to testify with the others. I've only done 2 Brisket, so far, and followed Meatheads instructions to the letter. Both turned out better than any Brisket I ever ordered in a restaurant. It was definitely the instructions and not me. Read it and reread it, and you'll be crushing it.

Comment

Same here, with following Meatheads instructions. I think the broth injection is critical. My last brisket was the best I had ever done. My guests said is was better than what they got at the local BBQ joints in Houston.

Comment

Everybody has given good advice as always so you should be on track to a perfect brisket next go round. I have one question, what grade of brisket was it? Choice should be a minimum and Prime is a little more forgiving. Selects from what I have heard are to lean but some may argue that.

Comment

I have been using selects, but I always inject them. I don't separate the point and the flat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountofQ View Post
            Mosca So when you split but cook at the same time, are you totally separating and cooking side by side, or more of putting it back together as if it was still a whole packer without the fat between the two muscles?
            Got a photo here somewhere...

Click image for larger version

Name:	E12ACB87-0E7D-46AD-BB35-828EE7B48F83.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	393027

Comment

Hi Mosca,
              are you using your deflector shield in your BGE ? ........ and the tinfoil pans are to just catch the drippings ?

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the deflector is in there. I’ve found that there are hot spots where the heat comes between the legs, the foil helps control that, and covers the plate.

In addition to Meathead’s brisket method, I would highly recommend looking at Aaron Franklin’s technique. His book is fantastic. It is one of my 3 go to BBQ books, the other two are from Meathead and Chris Lilly. Also, Aaron Franklin has 3 videos on YouTube you should absolutely check out. They cover the whole process with brisket from meat selection, trimming and the rub, to cooking, finishing, slicing, serving.

Here’s a link to all three: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...L0VYovXzAQ3EUu

Comment

thanks, I have Aaron's book and it is awesome. I watched his videos as well as the vidoes that Kamado Joe channel on youtube. Next i will try meatheads method

Comment

Cool jimwheeler .... I think if you follow meathead's technique to the T on the next cook, you're going to be very happy. Then you can start adjusting from there until you have your own technique that works great for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here