Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket prices at Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket prices at Costco

Wandering through Costco yesterday on my way to get ribs and noticed the USDA Prime briskets are now $2.59/lb :O. I have an economics background so I know it's supply and demand but not too long ago brisket was $3.78/lb for USDA Prime. My question is does anyone know what the supply/demand conditions are that result in brisket swinging from $2.60/lb earlier in the summer to $3.80/lb then back down to $2.59/lb? Seems like huge swings to me, almost 50% up then 30% down. Does summer demand rise so much to send brisket prices that far up?

Choice brisket isn't even that cheap at the Costco near me

Comment

I need to make a trip to Costco's Monday and pick up 4-5 briskets.

Comment

Choice Brisket at costco is twice that price here in NJ

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          And only the flat! FYI I picked up a 20lb full packer brisket at Seabra in Newark for $3.89

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to make a trip in the next week or so.

Comment

• phoccer
          phoccer commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully you've got good prices up there.

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, they were $3.79 a month or so ago.

Wow. Figured there would be some variation in price but didn't realize it would be that great. Still curious as hell what makes for such big swings in brisket price. I don't seem to see that big of swings in pork prices but maybe I'm just not paying attention.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          It's what they like to call "the free market". Which translates to "gouge 'em if you can"!

• KevinG
          KevinG commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe it has something to do with the south Texas flooding and the gas price spike. My friend does commodities trading and futures...it's quite interesting and well beyond my level of statistical science knowledge, but it is amazing how it works.

The funny thing about choice brisket at costco is they're flats not packers. The packers are $2.99 here in the Seattle area,go Hawks!

Comment

Seasonal product with higher inventory and less demand now than earlier in the summer.

Comment

• phoccer
            phoccer commented
            Editing a comment
            I expected higher demand in summer. Just surprising to me to see such large price swings.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Cycle of life, also. Cows are born, raised for 30-35 months, slaughtered. So seasonality to peak availability.

Packer price will always be less than flat, which would help explain why even choice might cost more. I don't pay much attention to commodity prices, so I am not sure if there's something going on here that would explain the situation.

Comment

The Prime full packer I recently bought from Costco here in Colorado was $2.99. Now feel like I should have bought a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by 6th Borough BBQ View Post
              Choice Brisket at costco is twice that price here in NJ
              Wow that’s great! I’m doing a Boston Butt today but think I will make my way there next week!

Comment

I'm guessing the Costco prices won't go up 'till next Grillin' Season.

Comment

You can't touch a Prime Brisket in my area for less the 9 bucks a pound at my Costco. I can get select for between $2.75 and $3.00

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here