Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split Brisket and Freeze Half Uncooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split Brisket and Freeze Half Uncooked

Just curious if anyone has experience, opinions or tips on something I am thinking of doing this weekend. I have not yet smoked a brisket on my Weber with Smokenator/Pitmaster IQ110 and I am itching to do so. We don't have a need for pounds and pounds of meat though, since there are only 4 of us in the house.

Will it work to "split" the brisket - lengthwise - in such a way as to retain a portion of the flat and the point? Where I live, they sometimes sell a split brisket like that in the HEB grocery stores. The problem is, they don't always have them and they are pre-marinated in some solution that I don't really trust or want.

I was thinking of tightly wrapping the other half and freezing for a month or so.

What say ye, pitmasters?

Never come across this before. I would say sure. It gives you extra surface area for dry brine and rub treatment. It will obviously cook faster. All tings considered I'd say it's a win win for you. Let it be known I have never done it this way to give you a definite "yes, do it". Make sure to keep some fat cap though as a heat buffer. That smaller chunk of meat will be potentially more vulnerable to overcooking.

Comment

You should be fine.
      Due to space constraints in my fridge, when I make corned beef I usually split the brisket this way and it makes little to no difference on the end product.

Comment

First, I've never done this because I buy small briskets ( less than 10 lbs ) that can be consumed at 1 extended family ( 4-6 adults ) sitting and leftovers.

If you have a vacuum sealer, you would be set. If not, I think you might want to wrap it tightly in saran wrap and then put it in a heavy duty ziploc ( or your choice ) freezer bag. Make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible.

MH has some info regarding how long it will take to defrost meat in the fridge by itself and how long it takes if using a cold water bath. NEVER defrost at room temp!

Aside... I had a Pork Loin in the freezer since 3/2 and just recently cooked it on the Weber. Foodsaver kept it "pretty as a picture" until we devoured it mid-Nov.

HTH,

--Ed
        Last edited by Medusa; December 10, 2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          First, I've never done this because I buy small briskets ( less than 10 lbs ) that can be consumed at 1 extended family ( 4-6 adults ) sitting and leftovers.

If you have a vacuum sealer, you would be set. If not, I think you might want to wrap it tightly in saran wrap and then put it in a heavy duty ziploc ( or your choice ) freezer bag. Make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible.

MH has some info regarding how long it will take to defrost meat in the fridge by itself and how long it takes if using a cold water bath. NEVER defrost at room temp!

Aside... I had a Pork Loin in the freezer since 3/2 and just recently cooked it on the Weber. Foodsaver kept it "pretty as a picture" until we devoured it mid-Nov.

HTH,

--Ed
          You might find this article about the latest USDA study interesting:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here