Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with Poterhouse/T-bone steaks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with Poterhouse/T-bone steaks??

Ok I know you eat em but how?? I cant say I've ever had a porterhouse steak but I have had a T-Bone. (Basically the same thing just the Tenderloin portion is much bigger on a porterhouse) But to me the 2 types of meat (Strip/ Filet) are 2 very different types of meat. I tend to cut off the Filet and cook it separately from the Strip. I like to Pan sear filet and grill NY strips. The 2 meats cook at a different rate as well (well at least to me) Just wondering if its just me (very likely lol) or if other people feel this way?? Ok I'll hang up and listen to your reply's.

You are absolutely correct that the two sides are completely different. From my perspective I'm just getting two steaks. I don't do anything differently from any other cook. I don't make them often, but I generally don't have a great deal of problems with different cook rates using the reverse sear. Probably because low temperatures don't allow things to get too out of control.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm I hadn't considered the Reverse sear??? Your right the slow warm up should help with 2 different sides cooking more evenly! (Shows how long its been since I did a T-bone haha) Thanks JCGrill

I cook it whole, but I eat the strip first then the filet for dessert.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats the way I do it!! LOL really dont like my food to touch (but that's probably a little to much info )

I did a couple of 2 inch thick ones a while back did reversed sear came out great
    lonnie mac here is my attemp on the porterhouse steaks cook on the kamado joe one cooked to 132 other medium 153. Rubbrd with coarse black pepper and a little bit

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Those were some wonderful looking pieces of meat!! Don't see T-Bone much here in the local megamart but may have to go looking for one, so I can try it again!!

Agree with ^^^. Cook it whole, reverse sear and engorge myself!

Comment

I tend to pick it up with my bare hands and gnaw on the bone after I've eaten the meat! The caveman in me I suppose.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yea!!! Them "T" shaped bones are way to dangerous to give to the dog and I'm durn sure not wasting it!

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        when i was a kid i used my hands the whole time, like it was some kind of super meaty bbq rib.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here