Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ'd Brisket In Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ'd Brisket In Texas

My wife, two daughters and their families traveled to my son's place in New Braunfels the middle of August for a family reunion and to celebrate my son coming home from S. Korea where he was stationed for 2 yrs flying F-16s. I had bought him a Cookshack Amerique as a housewarming gift and he and I were anxious to turnout some good Q. We went to the local H-E-B and were able to buy PRIME beef brisket!!!! We dry brined it with kosher salt over night then used Meathead's BBBR on it, quadrupling the recipe. We smoked it for 4 hrs using hickory, then crutched it until internal temp was 203 F. One of my daughter-in-law's Texan uncles said it was the best brisket he'd ever had in his life . We did another one later on in the week and it was just as good. So when I got back to southern Maryland, I began looking for a source of prime brisket down here. Costco doesn't carry whole packer briskets period. I struck out a few more times and even checked with a restaurant owner I know and he couldn't find any prime brisket, only C.A.B. Finally, I found a place but I had to purchase a full case, which upon delivery was 59 lbs. At $3.68/lb, it was cheaper than the H-E-B brisket which was around $3.99 if I recall correctly. I smoked one of those briskets the same way I did in Texas and it was absolutely scrumptious! I'm so pleased I found a source for prime brisket!! I'm looking forward to corning some and to make pastrami next!

Where are the pictures? I was so looking forward to them after reading your post. Show us the 60lbs too. Congratulations on your brisket success. That's good to hear.

Comment

Nice! Congrats. Never fear about trying a CAB though, they're pretty stinkin' good too.

Comment

• Steppy
        Steppy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done lots of CABs and they are indeed good

Nothing wrong with buying a case of something you really like either, as long as you have freezer space. It's the easiest (and cheapest) way for me to get beef chuck ribs. It was also the only way I could get pork belly before Sam's & Costco started to carry them. A little 7 cubic foot freezer is less than $200 and holds a lotta meat!

Comment

Congrats on sourcing da meat.

Comment

Sometimes I think I prefer the CAB to Prime.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Apparently you're not the only one: http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/b...ice-steak.html

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Publix carries Angus Beef under their "Greenwise" label. But it is inferior to the CAB from my butcher by a long-shot.

• Steppy
            Steppy commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't have any more fat cap to trim on the primes as I have on C.A.B. s in the past

persistence is key!

Comment

Be careful sharing with the neighbors. They will be over as soon as they smell smoke!

Comment

Congratulations on the reunion and the find of good meat. Not exactly sure where you are in southern Maryland but if you should go through Leesburg Va that Costco has been getting the Prime full packers since earlier this year. oops, never mind. You are waaaay southeast of us.

Comment

59 lbs. whats that 4 packers? Don't you just cook them all at once?!

Comment

• Steppy
                  Steppy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There were 5, the smallest was 8.9 lbs

Congrats on the reunion. That must have been a truly special cook.

Comment

• Steppy
                  Steppy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With my son in the military, my family doesn't get a chance to get together that often, so it was truly special in all respects.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bet. That is a sacrifice the whole family makes when one serves. It is great that you were able to all get together and enjoy some BBQ. Steppy

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here