Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for Chili

Dug around in the freezer the other day. I found about 2.5 lbs of flat that I saved after cutting up a brisket for pastrami. And I found about 3 lbs of chuck roast. They’ve been dry brined for a couple hours, put some BBBR on them. Fired up the Hasty-Bake so I can smoke them. 40 lit briquettes, 80 unlit, plus a nice chunk of oak. Going to smoke the meat to about 165. Plus smoke an onion. Then use all that to make the chili.

First chili this fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	384834

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	384835
    Attached Files

Would love to see your fire box set up. The relation of lit coals placement to unlit. Hoe about beans? Are you a beanless chili kind of guy?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m pretty sure in Texas they’d have serious issues with me adding carrots to my Chili

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      We put carrots in ours, and we're one generation removed from Texas.

Maybe that's why they don't return our calls...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      TheCountofQ I use beans in my regular chili, but not in my Texas Red, or chili that I make fer chili dogs, or nachos, dips, etc. Beans is what kept us alive, when I was growin' up...meat was not always available...

Here’s my chili recipe. It’s not very precise. And you can add to it or take away from it as you please.

This will be doubled. I normally would do a single 3 lb chuck roast, but I have that brisket flat to use up.

3 lbs (give or take0 chuck roast
    1 large onion
    1/2 lb of bacon, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
    3 TBSP chili powder
    1 TBSP cumin powder
    1 can diced tomatoes
    juice from 2-3 limes
    1 ounce dark chocolate
    1 cup decent red wine or a bottle of Shiner Bock
    Beef stock

Smoke the chuck roast and onion
    Cut the chuck into roughly 1” cubes. Remove the excessive fat
    I use an enameled Dutch oven for this, but cast iron would be great too. Or stainless steel. Whatever
    Cook the bacon until the fat renders and it’s a bit crunchy
    Brown the chuck in the bacon fat. You may need to add some olive oil
    Reserve the chuck meat
    Roughly chop your onion and cook in the bacon fat/beef fat until wilted
    add garlic, cook until aromatic, 2-3 minutes
    add chili powder and cumin, cook for about 1 minute
    add wine or beer and scrape browned bits of meat, etc off the bottom of the pot
    add the meat, diced tomatoes, lime juice, chocolate and enough stock to raise the liquid to cover the meat.

Now simmer until the meat is tender. Add salt and pepper if you think it needs some. I like to throw in chopped up carrots and bell peppers about 10 minutes before serving. If it isn’t thick enough, crush up 10-15 tortilla chips and stir into the chili, then cook a bit longer.

If you like, serve over rice. Or plain. Have some good crusty bread on hand to eat with it. A big red wine, a Cabernet, or some Shiner Bock goes great with it.

​​​​​​​Enjoy

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so doing that next week. Gawd I love this forum!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike smoking the meat just takes the chili to a whole different level. If you don’t love it, I will eat my hat.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this post. Here's a chili recipe I could really sink my teeth into! I'm booking it now.

Everything is on the Hasty-Bake and cooking. Onion will be good in another 20 minutes, or so.

Name:	DC81DD7B-B150-4F04-8D0F-76D3CC1970C8.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	384872

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the idea of smoking the onions!! I do all the peppers when making soups but not the onions. How long are u smoking them?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois I smoke the onion for 30-40 minutes. After that, you really aren’t gaining anything

Brother, that sounds like some Epic chili!!!!
    Hopin' to make my first seasonal batch in th' next day, or two! (Got maters an peppers, out da wazoo!!!!)

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I’d smoke the peppers, too .... gives ‘em a nice raisiny flavor that I like

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      My termaters were coming in in drizzles until this weekend. Boom! Picked twelve of them this morning. Might be a marinara sauce in my future.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Due to the remodel we backed way off of the garden this year. Disappointing because we love our smoked peppers.

I am gonna try this for sure. Thanks for the Recipe.

Comment

I love how stable the Hasty-Bake is .... FYI TheCountofQ .... my setup for smoking is like this. I light 40 briquettes in a chimney. I leave just enough room for them at the far end of my firebox. I put my wood in that space. Then I put 80 briquettes in a 3 high pile across the width of the firebox. I let the briquettes light in the chimney for 30 minutes, until I have flames, but they aren’t fully ashed over. I dump them in the empty space I left in the firebox, on top of my wood chunks. I leave the firebox all the way down .... well, about 1/2 inch up for airflow. I open my door vent and one of the two vents at the other end. Put the heat deflector in place and an aluminum pan filled with water on top of the heat deflector. This runs between 225 and 240 for 4-5 hours. Plenty long enough for ribs.
      My too low grill temp is be because I had a piece of meat too close to the ambient probe. You can see once I moved the meat another inch away, my grill temp is running right at 240.

Name:	A2DFD1ED-88AC-4002-915C-8445FA91AC91.png
Views:	149
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	384950

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        So you are burning from the vent on towards the door then. I have heard of this. Using the stoker, i go three high across the entire fire box and light at the door end. Fan does the work and I can get about 24 hours at 225ish. Ranger, light em on the grate. Spread single layer sparsely. Am adding 8-10 coals every so often. 235-255 per maverick. 160-190 dial.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I found if I ran the charcoal from door to far end, instead, that over time as the charcoal lit my grill temp got progressively hotter.

I'm looking forward to doing some myself very soon. I find for many chili is a very personal dish. But let me pass along an idea to try instead of chili powder. Use your favorite chili recipe, but...

4 ancho chiles
      2 pasilla chiles
      2 guajillo chiles
      2-4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce

Heat the dried chiles on a skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from the heat, add to a bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak the chiles for about 30 minutes, until soft. When the chiles are soft cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and veins, and add them to a blender together with the chipotle chiles and a bit of the soaking water. Use as much of the soaking water as needed to make a nice puree. Process in the blender until smooth.

If desired, the chile puree can be made a day ahead. When working with the chiles, gloves are recommended. Sub this puree for your recipe's call for chili powder. I find this is about the right amount for 3 quarts of chili.

I actually stole this idea from someone on the web years ago, and I can't find it anymore to give credit.
      Last edited by JCGrill; September 24, 2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I am so gonna do this for my next chili! Awesome idea JCGrill, thanks!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. Thanks!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Main, I'm a try summat similar, with my fresh peppers/maters...
        I gots me some Goliath, an' Beefsteak maters, New Mexico, Lemon Drop, Purple Jalapanos, Jalapenos Grande to work with... plus onions, Green/Red/Yellow Bell peppers...
        I'm reckonin' it'll be otay!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 1, 2018, 09:33 PM.

Pulled the meat around 160’ish. Tons of smoke flavor on the brisket and chuck roast. Trimmed away the fat and chopped all the meat up into rough 1” cubes. Then followed my method above.

Name:	13E9BFD9-B91C-4E9F-94A3-33E8B0F5D06F.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	385030

Name:	E0AF9366-215C-42FA-903B-0A0668843BD9.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	385031

Name:	CB6EA985-E3B0-46A5-8998-BF14B9A089C8.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	385032

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin good!

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        I could dip some CI skillet cornbread cooked over a fire pit into that pot of smokey goodness!

Still too hot here in Baltimore for chili. Almost hit 90 today! Ugh. Great looking batch of goodness there, though!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s been rainy and 55 here in the Pacific Northwest. Which is good, cause it helped us get all our fires under control.

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto, but I believe it is going to turn tomorrow.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        We're over 90 again today. Hard to get too excited over chili just yet. Deer season opens next weekend and I can't even get too ramped up over that. 😳

Our tomatillos are ripe finally. Stacy promised me she is making Chile Verde next weekend!!!! I LOVE her Chile Verde almost as much as my Chili con Carne.

Comment

I've been wanting to use some smoked chuck in my chili. Thanks for posting this! Now if it would just cool off enough here in MO to make a big ol' pot.

I also discovered the brilliancy of doing a puree with fresh peppers in place of chili powder last year. Love it.

Comment

Next weekend is the chili weekend for me. Weather's going to break on Thursday, going from upper 80s to upper 60s.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here