Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    It’s been rainy and 55 here in the Pacific Northwest. Which is good, cause it helped us get all our fires under control.

• Thunder77
    replied
    Still too hot here in Baltimore for chili. Almost hit 90 today! Ugh. Great looking batch of goodness there, though!

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    Pulled the meat around 160’ish. Tons of smoke flavor on the brisket and chuck roast. Trimmed away the fat and chopped all the meat up into rough 1” cubes. Then followed my method above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13E9BFD9-B91C-4E9F-94A3-33E8B0F5D06F.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	385030

Name:	E0AF9366-215C-42FA-903B-0A0668843BD9.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	385031

Name:	CB6EA985-E3B0-46A5-8998-BF14B9A089C8.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	385032

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I found if I ran the charcoal from door to far end, instead, that over time as the charcoal lit my grill temp got progressively hotter.

• TheCountofQ
    commented on 's reply
    So you are burning from the vent on towards the door then. I have heard of this. Using the stoker, i go three high across the entire fire box and light at the door end. Fan does the work and I can get about 24 hours at 225ish. Ranger, light em on the grate. Spread single layer sparsely. Am adding 8-10 coals every so often. 235-255 per maverick. 160-190 dial.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Main, I'm a try summat similar, with my fresh peppers/maters...
    I gots me some Goliath, an' Beefsteak maters, New Mexico, Lemon Drop, Purple Jalapanos, Jalapenos Grande to work with... plus onions, Green/Red/Yellow Bell peppers...
    I'm reckonin' it'll be otay!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 1, 2018, 09:33 PM.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Nice. Thanks!

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I am so gonna do this for my next chili! Awesome idea JCGrill, thanks!

• JCGrill
    replied
    I'm looking forward to doing some myself very soon. I find for many chili is a very personal dish. But let me pass along an idea to try instead of chili powder. Use your favorite chili recipe, but...

4 ancho chiles
    2 pasilla chiles
    2 guajillo chiles
    2-4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce

Heat the dried chiles on a skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from the heat, add to a bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak the chiles for about 30 minutes, until soft. When the chiles are soft cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and veins, and add them to a blender together with the chipotle chiles and a bit of the soaking water. Use as much of the soaking water as needed to make a nice puree. Process in the blender until smooth.

If desired, the chile puree can be made a day ahead. When working with the chiles, gloves are recommended. Sub this puree for your recipe's call for chili powder. I find this is about the right amount for 3 quarts of chili.

I actually stole this idea from someone on the web years ago, and I can't find it anymore to give credit.
    Last edited by JCGrill; September 24, 2017, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I love how stable the Hasty-Bake is .... FYI TheCountofQ .... my setup for smoking is like this. I light 40 briquettes in a chimney. I leave just enough room for them at the far end of my firebox. I put my wood in that space. Then I put 80 briquettes in a 3 high pile across the width of the firebox. I let the briquettes light in the chimney for 30 minutes, until I have flames, but they aren’t fully ashed over. I dump them in the empty space I left in the firebox, on top of my wood chunks. I leave the firebox all the way down .... well, about 1/2 inch up for airflow. I open my door vent and one of the two vents at the other end. Put the heat deflector in place and an aluminum pan filled with water on top of the heat deflector. This runs between 225 and 240 for 4-5 hours. Plenty long enough for ribs.
    My too low grill temp is be because I had a piece of meat too close to the ambient probe. You can see once I moved the meat another inch away, my grill temp is running right at 240.

Name:	A2DFD1ED-88AC-4002-915C-8445FA91AC91.png
Views:	152
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	384950

Leave a comment:

• Pirate Scott
    replied
    I am gonna try this for sure. Thanks for the Recipe.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Due to the remodel we backed way off of the garden this year. Disappointing because we love our smoked peppers.

• Mudkat
    commented on 's reply
    My termaters were coming in in drizzles until this weekend. Boom! Picked twelve of them this morning. Might be a marinara sauce in my future.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I think I’d smoke the peppers, too .... gives ‘em a nice raisiny flavor that I like

• Mudkat
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for this post. Here's a chili recipe I could really sink my teeth into! I'm booking it now.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here