Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pastrami in the Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pastrami in the Books

I had a lot of fun making pastrami, and the results are well worth the week and a half process. I'm thinking that the highest use of a packer brisket may be to separate the flat and point and make pastrami w the flat and Texas bbq the point or make Jerod Broussard 's overalls. By the way, the Riesling paired with the pastrami was perfect. If you like wine this is a great combination. Made Reubens and some carrot vishyssoise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pastrami reuben.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	384601

That looks perfect!

Comment

I wish I was having that for breakfast this morning

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I might do that

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a hamburger

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey LOL

Was going to ask if it was sweet or dry, but it appears to be from Germany, so I think I have my answer.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        It wasn't an auslese so it wasn't super sweet but there was sugar. I like dry wines normally but this paired beautifully and so was a big eye opener for me.

I think I see another round of pastrami in my future.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll definitely do this again!

Well worth the process, that's fo sho.

Crumbled up it also makes a great salad topping.

Comment

Beautiful looking sandwich!

Comment

That is such a fun thing to do.

Comment

Yer Reuben looks fantastic!

Comment

Was it an Alsatian riesling, JCBBQ ? I like their drier profile. Oops never mind, I just took another look and saw that German wine label. Not from the French Alsace after all.

Sweet rieslings are tough for me to take. I never would have thought to pair one with pastrami. I'd be heading for the beer (again) just about the time the slicing was done.

Nice-looking 'strami sammie!

Kathryn

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc, I was totally surpised by the Riesling. Riesling is a big hole in my wine game bc I usually taste them and think "ugh, that's too sweet." My sommelier friend made the recommendation and so I went with it. It is dynamite. The sugar really balances all the saltiness of the chips, pickle and pastrami. Give it a try. I also found a good one, so maybe that helped a lot too.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                JCBBQ Riesling is a go-to for me because it can be super dry or very sweet depending on the winemaker. Pairs really well with spicy food.

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                JCGrill Yeah, I once had a fantastic Riesling at a Thai restaurant and loved how it paired. This experience has made me realize I need to get off my ass and learn more about them.

Good looking Pastrami.

Comment

Great looking stuff! Well worth the process and time. Interesting pairing, make sense when you think about it. Pastrami Ruebens are my go to benchmark. Looking good brother!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

MAN, that looks nice! I'm trying to talk the Y into buying me the VERY expensive cut, Brisket <snort> cause I REALLY want some corned beef and Pastrami!! That's a beautiful plate.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You've got a chicken and egg problem: how do you get him a pastrami Reuben to convince him to buy the materials?

• Karon Adams
                      Karon Adams commented
                      Editing a comment
                      you don't know my Y. he could (and has) eat the same thing every day for weeks at a time. He told me he went an entire semester of school eating PBJ every single day. he's not food guy.

Classy, JCBBQ! Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here