Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs recommendation

Hello everyone! I need some tips for beef ribs. It's the second time I make them, and the first slab consisted of 4 bones and weighed about 4 pounds. I cut them in half and smoked them in 2-bone sections. The ones I bought yesterday are much larger, weighing about 6 pounds and are only 3 bones per slab (I have two slabs). Given the huge size of each rib, should I cook individual bones or the whole slab? If I do it individually, how would that affect my cooking times? Thanks!

Attached Files

Must.....resist....ordering.....from.....Pat....La Frieda.....

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Their burger patties are damn good

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles I ain't finding out for a burger. But I bet they are the bomb.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Pat's beef ribs are great I'm sure. But they are not "dino" bones. If I recall his larger ones are about 8".
      The last ones I got from my local BBQ place, cause I'm friends with him, were about 12" long.

I cook plates of beef ribs like that as a plate. That size is going to run 7-8 hours at 250, in my experience. I basically cook the plate of ribs as if it is a brisket.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what ecowper said. Cook them as a plate.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree 100% with the brisket analogy except I do cut them in 2 bone sections to 1) get a little quicker cook and 2) achieve a little more bark since I'm kind of a bark fanatic.

Those look great! A single bone will give you more bark, but more chance of drying out. I think I would keep the slab together.

Comment

Yeah, I'd haveta agree; I'd cook th' whole shebang together, vs. individually...

Comment

This is the outcome cooking the plate whole

Click image for larger version

Name:	1920891E-19EA-432D-BFE6-F441E58C84D3.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	384331

Name:	714B9EFD-981C-4BE5-A256-7411EB5A46A1.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	384330

Name:	8822AD59-62B5-47FE-B93C-4BF31536201E.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	384332

Comment

Wow. You just made me hungry!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I may just have to run to the butcher shop and get a plate or two

Three bones are usually "plate" ribs, four bones more likely "chuck" ribs if processed at a big plant. I usually do chuck ribs because that's what my meat guy can get easiest. They are at least that big and I like to do them as a slab. Agree that singles give more bark but I get plenty of bark (for me) doing them intact and no worry about getting dry that way. Will take some time as ecowper stated, so allot plenty of it. Best thing ever to come off my smoker for sure!!! Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll cook the whole plate and let you know how they turn out!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I think if you cook the whole plate, and treat it like you would a brisket, you won’t be disappointed. Looking forward to pictures and descriptions of the cook!

Both ways are great! Smoke then Slice, or Slice then Smoke.

I love them both! If I had to pick, for me to eat, I would Slice Then Smoke. Why? More Bark!!! And Mrs. Brown is all that! My main man at PaulsRibShack, loves to Smoke then Slice, mainly because they look so impressive when you see that slice cross section! You do retain moisture and have a larger chunk when you Smoke the whole plate.

My advise? Try it Both Ways!

Name:	IMG_1085.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	384573

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	384574

Name:	IMG_7266.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	384575

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              MAN!! Those are amazing pics Paul!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful pictures Paul ... makes my pictures seem tame brother ... I personally prefer more moisture. ANd I find that when I cook the whole plate, I still get plenty of bark. I am mostly questing after that most succulent beef possible :-)

Agreed, brothers!
            Amazin' only kinda tickles it, I reckon.
            Smoke on, Paul!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Paul takes it to a whole different level!

Ribs came out pretty nice! Cooked them whole on 2 Kettles, starting at 250f and then raised to 275f (was running a little behind!) for 8 hours until probe tender, then rested in a faux Cambro for 30 minutes before serving. Next time I'd double down on the rub, and add a little more smoke. People really enjoyed them. Thanks for the tips!

Name:	e5f44962-f0b4-46e0-9e56-8a4c346b61f9.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	385686

Name:	Photo 9-25-17, 10 45 40 AM.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	385688

Name:	c1fcbfac-77bb-416c-b717-5e28e534c2f6.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	385687

Comment

Those look great!!! Job well done! Congrats!

Comment

• gijsveltman
                gijsveltman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!

Awesome looking ribs!

Comment

• gijsveltman
                gijsveltman commented
                Editing a comment
                They were pretty nice!

Man I got a plate in the freezer as we speak (memo to self: start the thaw for a weekend smoke, mouth stop watering)

Comment

• gijsveltman
                gijsveltman commented
                Editing a comment
                Start thawing ASAP!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here