Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear sequence and salting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear sequence and salting

i must admit I'm a novice when it comes to reverse searing thick NY strips. Looking for a recommended sequence for reverse searing in terms of painting with oil and salt and peppering. Additionally, some guidance on salt quantity per pound of meat. Thanks in advance!!

I think everything you need is here.

And you were wrong David Parrish . I still chuckle every time you realize the camera is on.

Comment

Salt can, and should, be added to your steaks way ahead of cooking. Like at least an hour. Or more. As much as 24 hours is okay. I think the sweet spot is about 6 hours. 1/2 tsp of kosher salt per pound. Do NOT add any more salt. You are looking at salt jeopardy if you do. I add pepper and granulated garlic just before I put on the grill for the reverse sear. Others don’t add it until they are done and the steak comes off the grill. Up to you, really.

As far as the reverse sear technique

1. Set up grill for 2 zone grilling. Get your indirect zone to about 250F
      2. Steaks go on indirect side. Turn 1-2 times (like every 10 minutes).
      3. When steaks are 10 degrees below your desired temp, reserve the steaks and crank your direct zone as hot as possible
      4. Sear steaks on direct zone for 2-3 minutes per side, until you get a good Maillard reaction.
      5. Pull steaks and serve

If you stop the indirect cook at 115, the 4-6 minutes of searing will get you to 125 internal, if you stop at 125, will get you to 135, etc.

And there is always Meathead awesome article on the topic

Create grilled steaks as good or better than they do in the best expensive steakhouses with this comprehensive how-to and recipe. From selecting the right cut and beef grade to smoking and searing on the grill, you'll be grilling up mouthwatering steaks for your family and guests in no time!

Comment

Thanks guys; just the guidance I was hoping for (this forum never lets me down!!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here