Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry age question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry age question

Hey can anyone tell me whether you can dry-age meat that's previously been in cryovac?

I spoke to a young fella at my local butcher today, who claimed he was a guru on dry aging.
    He reckons that dry-aging meat after taking out of cryovac "wont' work" or at least won't work anywhere near as well as stuff that's never been cryovaced.
    Be interested if there's any science behind why or why not, but can't seem to find anything.

Trouble is that in our parts it's difficult to pick up any decent stuff that hasn't been cryovaced, without paying and arm and a leg.

I've just started dry-aging at home - 1st attempt was a disaster (budget cut, and too cold i think), 2nd attempt was very tasty and tender (28 days). Both taken from cryovac.
    About to chuck in another ribeye that's come out of cryovac, but interested to know if i'm doing the wrong thing.

Dry aging beef that has been in a cryovac bag has worked fine for me. I probably wouldn't (knowingly) chose a piece to dry age that's been in cryovac bag for a month or so,but anything with a recent pack date will work fine. The fellow at your butcher may have stated his opinion in attempt to sell you some of their product rather than have you go to Sam's or Costco...

Comment

I've had very good success with dry aging strip loins purchased from Costco that were cryovaced. I've always started the dry age process ASAP after purchase so the wet age (if any) has been minimal.

I've never dry aged any meat that has not been cryovaced.

Comment

The Umai bag people recommend using cryovaced meat for dry aging, because the bag sticks to it better. https://www.drybagsteak.com/

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
          That makes me feel better. Yes, I try pick the freshest pieces and take them out of cryovac straight away.

One pain in the neck is that in our area (Australia, with no Sams, and Costco is 1.5 hours away) bone-in ribeye is always more expensive that deboned, (have to get a butcher to do bone-in specially, so never get any specials.) This means dry-aging as deboned and trimming meat instead of fat & bone.

Thinking I might might ring around for some decent prices on 1/2 cow, then I can get it how I want it...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here