Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my brisket taking so long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is my brisket taking so long?

I'm cooking on my Primo XL and my Auber has kept the temperature at a perfect 225 for about 20 hours but the internal temperature is still only 170. I wrapped it in foil about 3 hours ago and the temperature has started slowly climbing. Now I've increased the pit temperature to 250. It's only about a 11 pound brisket so it doesn't seem like it should take so long. Any ideas or is this normal?

The main difference on this cook is the Auber. Normally the temperature wanders not and may drift high for extended periods.

I'd go ahead and bump that temperature up to 275 - 300. You won't burn it up.

Comment

It takes that long because it takes that long.

Be be sure your wrap does not have any air gaps at all or it won't help much.

how many brisket have you done so far?

Comment

Like Jon Solberg said, each cook is different and its done when its done -- that is to say, Check for Probe Tender! A Primo is a very moist cooking environment and the Auber may not be providing much airflow. With that long at 170, you should check for probe-tender earlier than you may think!
        Last edited by kmhfive; September 18, 2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Agree with kmhfive , check for tender early. You've been in a temp range that melts connective tissue for a long time. You may be closer to done than you think. Don't be afraid to bump the temp up some and consider cooking your next brisket at 275 +/-.

Comment

All good advise above...........especially feeling for probe tenderness, which is the ultimate test.

I would also check my thermometers in some boiling water when you are finished, just to make sure they are working properly as well.

Comment

How did it turn out, allancarter ?

Comment

I have an Auber and it isn't my favorite device. The user interface sucks rocks and when I asked for help the Auber people seemed to think that bark is creosote and that :you BBQ types like creosote." They lost my confidence at that point.

It might be MCS or GAS, but I got a CyberQ and am happier. I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "A man with two clocks never knows what time it is." Still, when you use a new device it isn't a bad idea to perform a reality check. You might use some other thermometer to check your actual cooking chamber temperature. A cheapo oven thermometer from the grocery store, a Maverick or a ThermoWorks BBQ thermometer might be a good thing here.

Once you're sure what your pit temperature really is, then it'll be time to circle back to the question of why it was taking so long, although the question may well be answered then.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here