Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More of those "salvaged" ribs. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More of those "salvaged" ribs. . .

I call them that, because I "salvaged" them from a prime rib. This is where I buy a prime rib, and then cut it into "eye of ribeye" steaks, a set of cap steaks, and then the ribs themselves. This was kind of an unusual cook for me, because once I got the grill settled in, I decided to risk taking off to do a little shopping. Couple of bags of potting soil, some mulch, and I even scored a bag of Pecan Wood chunks to give them a try.

Got home and found the temp had actually gone up a bit, and that was only by 2*. But that's when the rain started and I moved the grill over under the canopy. That short little move resulted in a sudden drop in the grill temp, and then my reaction was to open the dampers way too much, and the predictable chasing the temps all over the place. But it really didn't take all that much time to regain control I don't guess, but it sure seemed like it.

I really do not recall the last time I cooked these ribs if there was a stall involved. But there was this time. In fact, I thought I'd imagined it, but not only did it stall at 192*, but the temp actually dropped to 190*. Once I convinced myself that it really was a stall, and it was getting late, I opened the dampers and let the heat rise. Once it got up to about 320*, the food temp resumed it's climb rather quickly and went on up to 203* In fact, I was in the computer room at the time and before I could get out there, it kept on going up to 205*.

After about 5 or maybe 5 1/2 hours, I pronounce them "DONE!"

On the platter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	beefribs02..JPG
Views:	52
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	380521

And served!

Click image for larger version

Name:	beefribsplate.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	380522

One other thing I seemed to have forgotten, does them term "silver skin" actually apply to beef ribs? I mean one's from a "salvage" job like this was? It came from a prime rib so it wasn't a diaphragm-type of gristle, but there was a bit of tough skin-like material I think, on the underside of the bones that was just a little difficult to deal with, but over-all, these ribs were probably the best I've ever eaten! I do LOVE these ribs!

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Great looking ribs. Yes, there is definitely a membrane under beef ribs.

Comment

Delicious. Love me some back ribs.

Comment

Those look super.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

I'm not sure I would have waited that long. Those look great!

Comment

I have never done beef ribs, but I need to try.

Comment

Pretty good looking salvage!

Comment

As I recall, Meathead says not to remove the membrane on beef ribs because it helps hold the meat on. Maybe I should look that up again. I've only done beef ribs once because they're not too available where I live. The ones I did had a measly bit of meat on each bone. Not that great.

Your ribs look delicious, (Mike S.) .

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is where a bone-in rib roast can come in handy!

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed! EdF

Looks great. I always remove the membrane.

Comment

• MrSkimo
                    MrSkimo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me too - and nice job!

Tell you what, I think the next time I buy a prime rib, I will (try) to remember to remove the membrane. Tried it one way (twice) and I'll see what happens when I try it the other way.
                  But still, I LOVE those things!

Mike

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here