Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Wagyu A5 Ribeye - How to best cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From one Amerikan to another, forget the Japanese methodology and cook that baby like a man. We're all dying to hear how that super tender unctuousness covers your pallet with fatty delight and otherwise warms the senses. If you want to "go Asian" slam a little skai with it !!! And by the way, HAPPY 50th man !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	saki.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	380364

Comment

• MrSkimo
      MrSkimo commented
      Editing a comment
      Murica! Thanks Troutman - I feel you!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Came here to say exactly this! Troutman is 100% correct. Happy 50th! Go nuts and report back.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Mileage obviously varies.

I have the same thing. I cut them 1 inch each and seared very hot. If you cook too long, all that fat just drips away. As one said, they are very, very rich and, I had trouble enjoying a full steak.

Name:	WagyuWholeMiyazaki.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	380419

Name:	MiyazakiWagyu.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	380420
    Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy crap ll

Omega-Man Thanks for sharing! So did you sear on a grill, or a frying pan/griddle?

Comment

• Omega-Man
      Omega-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I seared on a very hot grill with ceramic infrared burners. However, my daughter recently had some at her friend's house who seared it in a cast iron on the stove and she thought it came out better.

• Omega-Man
      Omega-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Found this today on how to treat Wagyu https://youtu.be/ry-oG6gT6Bs

Clearly the best way to cook that is to ship it to me as quickly as possible and let me throw it on my grill!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And since it's so rich, you can send part to me.

My experience with Wagyu, enjoy it thin cut, blazing hot sear, fast, hot, good and enjoy. I have always thought that is why the Japanese method came about. Anyone who can knock down a Grade 5 two inch thick full ribeye probably ate his last meal. They are sooooo good, but sooooo rich as well. Y'all may recall that one pound Wagyu rib bone I ate not long ago. If it weren't for that gallon of pickle juice I drank afterwards, I wouldn't be here today.

Comment

Am I the only one who clicks this post a dozen times a day to see if these beauty's have been offered up in sacrifice yet? Where's da beef?

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        No, but if you haven't done so then click the "Follow" button at the top right of the post and get updates whenever someone chimes in. This is definitely a fun one!

Originally posted by MrSkimo View Post
      Omega-Man Thanks for sharing! So did you sear on a grill, or a frying pan/griddle?
      I seared on a very hot grill with ceramic infrared burners. However, my daughter recently had some at her friend's house who seared it in a cast iron on the stove and she thought it came out better.

Comment

I reversed seared some wagyu angus cross ribeye on my weber and the flare up was pretty spectacular. The steaks didn’t have near the marbling that your real wagyu has in it. For what its worth I would try the 2” and cut portions like Potkettleblack suggested with slow on the kettle then sear in the cast iron. Happy birthday by the way!
        Last edited by (eclipse); September 16, 2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Pictures please, I'd love to see a $1200 piece of meat on fire in a blaze of glory

OK, I know everybody has been waiting for this also, Lets take a poll on how our boy should cook it & when we get the results maybe there will be something left over, maybe not. But, please, please, let's NOT rig this one, at least this one time hey people.

Comment

Greg over at Ballstic BBQ did a great vid not long ago. Makes me want some!

Comment

Wagyu cooked - every single morsel was absolutely heavenly. It's 12:30 here in Alaska right now, so I will write more tomorrow - including pictures and video. I ended up cooking about half of it in steaks (6.5 lbs or so). I tried several different methods. Quite honestly, the best was the first method. I cut a 1/2 inch slice off and briefly seared it in the cast iron on the cooktop. Just a bit of salt and pepper. It was divine!!

Next, I started a 2 inch steak indirect in the pellet stove at 225, until 120 and then seared it on the CI. I also grilled on the SnS on the Weber kettle, and cooked on a tabletop saltblock. The saltblock didn't work so well as I heated it up to 550 in the oven, then switched it to the weber kettle to stay hot. Only problem is it cooled down too much being in the kettle on the indirect side. I had to finish that steak on the CI too.

Short answer - they all were awesome! CandySueQ you were absolutely right - can't screw this meat up. The "rescued" salt block steak and pieces were cooked in the CI. By that time there was 1/2 inch of "beef love" from the rendered fat in the pan. So they were basically deep fried. Awesome!!!

More tomorrow - I have to clean up the dead soldiers of wine bottles left behind and get some sleep. Love you all - thanks for the tips, comments, opinions, and encouragement!

​​​​​​​- MrSkimo

Comment

BTW - I also saved about 6.5 lbs of steaks for later! Today's leftovers were 2 pounds. So 5 people consumed 4.5 lbs. - and...we all feared we were having a heart attack, or at least heavily clogged arteries. Worth it!

Comment

I guess no poll huh?

Comment

• MrSkimo
                  MrSkimo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't see one

Follow up with pictures...

1) short video of the appetizer. This was Japanese style, thinly cut and seared on CI for 1-1/2 minutes. We actually tried it raw as sashimi with no seasoning. It was incredible, almost a buttery flavor and it melted in your mouth. This cooked version was definitely everyone's favorite. Apparently the Japanese are onto something - know their wagyu!
                Attached Files

Comment

• MrSkimo
                  MrSkimo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry - the video won't post - too big

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you cook it that way, I'm guessing it could stretch a long way.

2) the 2 inch reverse sear. I cooked this one on the pellet stove at 225 until it hit 120, then brought it in for a sear on the CI. Turned out great, but it was definitely not as tender as the thin cut app. I suspect some of the fat didn't actually melt. Still better than any other steak I had before.
                Attached Files

Comment

• MrSkimo
                  MrSkimo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was a little surprised that more fat didn't render off during the first phase of reverse sear. I put it on the cooking sheet so I could tell how much came off.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man that looks spectacular, that's the way to get 'er done.....

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here