Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Wagyu A5 Ribeye - How to best cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Wagyu A5 Ribeye - How to best cook?

So I decided to splurge for my 50th birthday and ordered a 13# Japanese Wagyu Ribeye Roast through Costco (shipped to house). Our family shared a small A5 ribeye at a japanese BBQ and it was absolute melt in your mouth heaven. We are having a small party at the house, so we will probably cook some immediately and freeze some portions for later. My plan is to slice into steaks.

I've researched how to best cook it. Lots of interesting suggestions that are different than how I'd normally approach a steak. Japanese style is to slice a thin steak (1/2" to 1") and either barbecue on a hibachi or some similar small charcoal grill - or cook briefly on a very hot cast iron frying pan. Just looking for some suggestions on how to cut and cook. Prior experience highly valued!

i cooked a large amount of SNF american wagyu burgers on my Jim Bowie pellet grill once and just about burned down my house. I wasn't prepared for the large amount of liquefied wagyu fat and it dripped into the fire bowl and flamed up. Other options I have at my disposal are Weber charcoal kettle with SnS, Anova sous vide and a nice Lodge cast iron skillet.

Thanks - MrSkimo!
    Last edited by MrSkimo; September 15, 2017, 01:40 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	379631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	379630Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	379629

Comment

• MrSkimo
      MrSkimo commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I will take. Better lit picture when I cook it on Saturday

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Mr.Skimo - I don't know if you will be able to see straight eating food that good!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Got dayum!!!!

Ok, somebody's gotta say it, Holy Crap! That thing is big and beautiful.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't think of anyone better to say it.....

I'd LOVE to try it, but I'd be scared ^%#$&*(*^ to actually cook something that costs that much.

Comment

Ok, I'll say it: Holy Crap! That thing is big and beautiful.

Comment

Holy crap! That thing is big and beautiful.

Comment

Wait am I seeing a trend here??

Comment

There is a set of Grill Grates somewhere calling your name. But the equipment you listed, I'd go low and slow in the kettle and then reverse sear.

Comment

• MrSkimo
              MrSkimo commented
              Editing a comment
              You know, I have been planning to get some for a long time now. But I use the pellet grill more than the Weber these days on long low and slow cooks, and I haven't seen direct replacement for my GMG. I guess I could get smaller ones for the Weber and lay them over for use on the GMG.

Weber & SnS & grin while you're cookin it!
            A little after thought, ya might want to call Dave & have a running conversation with him whilst yer cookin.

Comment

So anyone believe that there is value to cutting them thin? I'm not sure why that appears to be the recommended way to do it.

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Not thin. Kettle with SnS. Reverse sear/cold grate.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto! And handle the grate oh so gently!
                Last edited by FireMan; September 14, 2017, 06:29 AM.

I would never cut it thin but how are you intended to prepare it? It's either as a whole roast or cut into steaks; either way your methodology should be based on that I would think.

Comment

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Steaks for sure. Small dinner party with 5 or 6 people. We will only use a portion, so I will freeze some for later.

Holy crap! That thing is big and beautiful. Tip: It needs to be cooked at my house!

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                And so it continues.
                Let's see how many more jump in.

Were it mine I'd cut 2" steaks, boil it in a bag at 130 degrees, maybe 120, for a couple of hours (I think they call that soo veed), ice water bath, then reverse sear on kettle with SnS. After researching if Wagyu enjoys being bagged and almost-boiled, of course.

Comment

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I forgot to mention that I also have a sous vide, so that could work as well.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                After watching the video that Potkettleblack shared I would scrap my idea.

Maybe I'm missing something here but a casual search for A5 true Japanese WAGYU rib eyes yielded a price of $12+ dollars PER OUNCE. So doing the math 13.5 lbs x 16 oz/lb x$12 = $2,592 !!!! It's been a while but I remember actually buying a whole cow for that a long time ago! That stuff better be REAL good, I'd be literally standing over the grill every second.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup!

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes - quite spendy. But, your 50th only comes once and my wife was encouraging me to do it. I was going to buy just four New York's or 8 filets, but price per $ was much higher (160 -250). Considered a small order from SNF, but shipping out the per pound rate up there. My man math justified this purchase pretty easily. :-)

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm a huge fan of Man Math !!!!! Unlike Wife Math, it actually makes perfect sense, no matter how extravagant !!!

Holy crap! That thing is big and beautimus.... for what it cost, that damn thing had better come with access to Chef Masaharu Morimoto....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here