Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Meatballs My Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Meatballs My Way

A couple of folks asked for my recipe for my Italian meat balls from another thread I started yesterday so here you are;

Classic Italian Meatballs;

1 lb each of ground pork and ground veal, 2 lbs of ground beef (I prefer 80/20)

1 medium size onion diced

4-5 cloves of garlic (to taste) minced

1 egg beaten

1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated (buy it fresh)

Bread crumbs (I just used the commercial kind in a tube w/Italian Seasoning)

Cup of cilantro or Italian parsley finely chopped

2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins preferred)

2 tablespoons of dry white wine ( I prefer Sauvignon Blanc)

Olive Oil (maybe a three count in the mix and some for saute)

Salt & Pepper (I just eye ball to taste)

Saute the onions and garlic until wilted in a small amount of olive oil. Combine all the other ingredients into a large bowl. Add the sauted onions and garlic. Get your hands in there and mix between your fingers (kids love to do this!). Don't over work and get the mixture too mushy. I like to adjust the wetness of the mix by forming a test ball. If it's too wet just add some additional bread crumbs until the balls hold together without cracking. Make balls that are slightly larger then a golf ball (should get 18-22 each) and place on a rack.

Heat some olive oil in a non-stick pan and brown off the balls but don't try to cook them through. Return to the rack. You really have 3 options after that. You can freeze them like they are after cooling by shrink wrapping, or you can place them in a 350 deg oven for about 25 minutes and cook through or you can smoke them after browning. My recent attempt had them done in a 275 deg smoker after about an hour. If you freeze them semi-cooked cooked, after thawing submerge them in a marinara sauce and heat for about 30 minutes to cook through and serve with your favorite pasta.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_47032.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	378636

Enjoy your meatballs !!!

I made these tonight. I had some leftover ground beef, ground pork, provolone, tomato sauce and we decided to make some meatball sandwiches. Had to go buy the Pecorino cheese, but that was about it. Sorry, no pics. But it came out very good. Have about a pound of leftover meat mixture, which I froze, for another meal some day.

Thanks for posting this recipe

Comment

I just did a freezer clean out meatball mashup that turned out WAY better than I figured...HA. I found 2 lbs of different ground beef, some sweet Italian sausage, 3 whole hog pork burgers and a pound of ground lamb...mixed up pretty much the same as you describe above. Smoked them on the kettle grill for a little over an hour at 225 and they really hit the spot!!!
      The problem is I'll never be able to replicate them again.....LOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here