Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime brisket is in! Wet age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime brisket is in! Wet age?

Good morning all and happy Sunday!
    A trip to Costco yesterday net me 2 large prime brisket. My Costco has been out of prime brisket and "they didnt know when the next order was coming". First brisket is on the MAK and the second sits in my fridge.
    My question to the pit and im sure it has been covered already is: Wet aging the 2nd beautiful hunk o' meat. Should i worry about freezing or should i leave it in the vac pack and wet age for 40-45 days? More/less? One Texan i came across said he leaves his in the fridge for 30-40 days. I have read all the articles on wet and dry aging but im curious of experiences of our fellow pit members. Thanks all and happy smokin'

I most often go ~30 days, have not tried beyond that...
    Also, Please Note: I have never done a Prime, so YMMV...
    Others more qualified will likely check in, soon...

Comment

Let it go in the fridge. I usually take mine to about 45 to 50 days. I rarely buy a brisket then cook it the next day. Almost all of mine are wet aged. I have a fridge, just for that purpose.
      Cheers!

Comment

I wet aged my last Costco prime packer 30 days from when I got it. It did not have a pack date. Best brisket to date. If you do decide to freeze it, dry brine it first, wait a day or two, then freeze. That will save time on the back end when you have to let it thaw a bit to get the salt to stick well. You will get a bit more smoke if you start it frozen too.

Comment

I've only got one under my belt and I wet aged it. It was a really good brisket, so I feel like I have to do it again. I may try one without aging at some point, but if you have a plan, I think the results speak for themselves.

Comment

I wet aged 2 briskets for 30-40 days (USDA prime). SO GOOD! I'd be tempted to try longer.

Comment

I go on the lighter end, 28 or 30 because in my opinion it's so perfect there that I don't see the need to risk it further. Besides, the packed on dates on the label aren't necessarily the actual packed on dates, as Powersmoke_80 found out and informed me.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                I concur

On another note- if you get a brisket from another place, say a local grocery store, and it doesn't have a packed-on date, ask! They might look at you funny if you're the first to ask that kinda thing, since likely only us BBQ folks would ask that, but so be it. My local store had some 4-6lb flats. I asked the packing date to the gal behind the counter- she gave me a confused look, she asked someone else, who asked someone else, turns out they'd been packed 28 days prior. So you don't always automatically age one you buy unless you can find out for sure when it was packed.

Comment

In my experience, Wet Age with Confidence! Out to 45-50 days is no problem at all. I've cooked briskets (for our own consumption) that are 80-90 days old.

When you get to 60 days, they get to probe tender 20% faster than a fresher one. But they taste great.

One key is to confirm your fridge's temp. If you are going to wet-age very long, your fridge needs to be on the lower end of the safe zone. I have a dedicated BBQ fridge at the house, and a commercial ones on the trailer and warehouse, and we keep those at the coldest setting. (FYI: Beef doesn't freeze until 28 degrees, my beef supplier tells me.) I like this thermometer, the Glycol does not move temp quickly, so you can open your fridge door and the temp stays true for 30 seconds or so. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/tay...r/6085927.html Meat at 40 degrees does NOT keep nearly as long as when you are at 30 degrees.

Comment

Geeze.... I do do much brisket but if bought a prime I'm not sure I could wait 30-45 days. Or per Huskee on the short end.... 28 days...

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s why you buy two.

I just realized this thread is a year old. LOL. Oh, well. Still... buy two.
                    Last edited by ColonialDawg; August 24, 2018, 03:17 PM.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ColonialDawg So it's an old thread no biggy. I notice a type o , I "don't" do brisket is what I meant to say.

The flavor is night and day. Wouldn't do a Costco brisket any other way. Keep fridge temp 35-40 degrees. I bought a fridge for my garage only for this sole purpose, besides my adult beverages of course. Placed in bottom drawer magnetic sign on door. Calender in house noted.

Comment

How are you wet aging? Just leaving the brisket in its packaging? Or are you decanting it into another container with another liquid?

Comment

• dustbuster
                    dustbuster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have the very same question!

Just leave it in the cryovac package that it was packed in at the processing plant.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As long as its not leaking. Correct?

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Correct! If it's leaking, I won't buy it!

I wet aged my last Costco prime brisket 36 days and it was awesome. Last summer I took a SNF gold brisket 45 and it was great too...

Comment

Taking this a bit further, just got my first ever Costco prime whole packer. My honey wants corned beef. Anyone started the corning process after wet aging? I intend to split flat from point, corn the flat, smoke the point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here