Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burnt ends question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt ends question

Hey all...I'm in the middle of attempt #2 at a brisket and am going to try burnt ends with the point. Anyone willing to let me know what temp you would pull the point off to rest/ cube? I'm planning on following the book's method of frying up in fat and coating with some sauce

Thanks!

Mush

Just read BNorem's post from a couple of days ago...will pull when the flat is probe tender. Wish me luck!

Comment

Photos when you have them please.

Comment

• cemushr
        cemushr commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do!

Then again...I posted this late in the smoke. Flat's at 180, and point's at 191. Probe tender on the point, since it looks like it will be done first?

Comment

Burnt ends done. Didn't even wait to put them in the Cambro. Oh, Baybee those were good!!

Flat is off and in the cambro for our second supper. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3079.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	377056

Comment

Well...burnt ends were awesome...the flat...still dry. I took it off when IT hit around 193 and had it in the cambro for just under 2 hours before serving it. I injected with beef broth before starting the smoke, and I pushed it through the stall without wrapping it. It was better than the first attempt, but it's still not where I want it to be. I could try wrapping it in the stall to see if that helps next time, but I'm still not entirely sure that it would help.

Comment

They look awesome!

Comment

Burnt ends look incredible! When you pulled the flat, was it probe tender? They need a minimum of 2-hours rest to start getting juicy. I've gone up to 4. Also, I've considered wrapping after the stall, when there is decent bark, like 180-190F to retain some moisture. But still need that Cambro time!

Comment

• cemushr
                cemushr commented
                Editing a comment
                Probe tender...yep! I'll consider it lesson-learned on not holding it long enough in the cambro. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Some flats are just plain dry no matter what you do to them, which is why I always inject with Butcher BBQ phosphate mix for extra insurance. But somewhat dry 'Q is still good chopped with sauce for sammies.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here