Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting cook time for grass-fed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Huskee, you'll be disappointed to know that I decided to cook them later instead of inserting a probe. There were two separate pieces and each was fairly thin. Instead of 5 hours, I put these in for the last 2 and now they're in the foil. Shame on me for not listening but I decided to follow my intuition, for better or worse. Will share the results later.

Comment

eugen, I got to ask. How can you cook meat without knowing its temp?

Comment

Probably because I've got this recipe timed down so well, nothing else really. It certainly doesn't work out for others like the tri-tip or beef shank that I've overcooked. Maybe short ribs are just a really forgiving cut that I've gotten lucky with them. I would like to get into the habit of using a probe, though.

Comment

Ahhh Got it.

Comment

Haha, honestly I should probably stop talking because it's like that old saying… Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt!

Comment

Eugene, you are the only person in the world that has ever said that. NOT!! And you are among friends and most of us have been there.

Comment

Not disappointed at all my friend. The thing about following your gut is you're learn one way or the other, either my guesstimates (and others') are off and your way wins, or oops, try it our way next time. Really it's win win! That boneless Wagyu will be awesome either way I have a feeling.

Comment

Thanks, the wagyu was overcooked for sure… buuuuuut the others turned out great. I'll commit to the probe on my next cook! I took a few samples to my butcher to run the taste test with him and a couple employees. 2 out of the 3 guessed correctly. The competition was really between the choice and prime since they wagyu was kind of a dead giveaway. How about you guys—it's not a taste test, but maybe you can tell from the picture below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	38005

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	38006

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I vote:

A) Wagyu
                    B) Choice
                    C) Prime

• eugenek
                    eugenek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right on the prime, but flipped on the choice and wagyu.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here