Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Beef Brisket...gone bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Beef Brisket...gone bad...

First time cooking London Broil, so I read things very carefully. Chose the Texas Beef recipe. Used a dual temp unit, one for the temp in the egg, the other in the meat. Egg built in is so far off, must be global warming...

This was a 5lb, choice grade. Average temp was around 230. I never hit the stall until around 170 degrees. I was in no hurry, so I just let it slow cook, but after it hit 180, the time started to drop. So Finally took it off, and now I can make my kids some shoes. I actually moved the temp probe a couple of places, always got the same temp.

What happened? The humiliation! lol

What happened? lolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2857.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	375640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2858.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	375641Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2856.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	375642

Certain cuts do well with low & slow, taking waaaay up past well done, certain cuts don't. A London broil is usually the dish, it's not really a specific cut of meat everywhere and can technically be one of a few cuts, most typically it's flank, part of the round (rear) so it's lean and can be dry if overcooked. Most do better at medium rare like a prime rib or an eye of round, there simply isn't enough fat & collagen in those cuts to melt down at the low & slow method, which is what gives brisket & pork butts their delicious soft juicy texture after cooking that way. Chucks and brisket have tons of fat & collagen to melt down as they cook, leaner roasts will be leather if you do that to them, like a steak.

Comment

I thought a London broil is much closer to flank steak, and generally cooks better at higher temps but pulled and sliced closer to medium rare.

Comment

Huskee nailed it. I couldn't have said it better. I reverse sear my London Broils to a max temp of 135.

Comment

Yup, SeaRay45db , you killed that hunk of London Broil. DOA. But you've learned a lot from the comments, I'll bet.

Best wishes on your next London Broil cook. Following the advice here, you'll probably have a winner!

Kathryn

Comment

Better luck next time SeaRay45db and welcome to the Pit

Comment

I am not a fan of London Broil unless I am making Jerky. It just doesnt have the fat content. That being said your best bet is hot and fast medium rare. Also I would cut against not with the grain on a cut like that.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                And slice super thin. Makes a great steak sammich!

LB is my go-to for stroganoff

Comment

My dad LOVES London Broil. I am not a fan. However, I believe it is the way he cooks it. Very rare and chewy. His cuts are always very square and are sirloin. I have done it for him where I smoked it for two hours at a very low temp and then seared. I really liked it much better that way. I didn't temp it but would guess it was somewhere at about 145-150. His reaction: "That's not how I like it." His claim is that what makes it a London Broil is the cooking method - fast direct heat. Anything else may be good, but it's not London Broil. I'm not the expert on that but I suspect he is right.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd have to agree with your dad on this one....but I also agree with you in that I'd find a way to hybrid the two, like traditional flank steak, seared and cooked quickly but with some smoke in there, but rarer than 145.

• adamjs83
                  adamjs83 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the best way to combine would be sous vide --> big chill --> reverse sear. Best of all worlds.

I am a big fan of London Broil. I like to marinade it in a ziplock for at least 24 hours. Marinade is beer, worchestire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I've always cooked it hot and fast until internal temp hit 125, rest till it goes up another 7 degrees or so from the carryover. Then slice against the grain on a bias very thin. Have some nice crusty bread slices ready. Place the beef over top the bread, add a warmed secretariat sauce and finish with some thoroughly caramelized onions. I grew up eating it this way.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haven't eaten lunch yet, and that sounds so good.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Years ago, like in the 60's, this was the go to meat very popular with the suburban crowd. It's noteworthy that hulagn1971 describes to the tee how it was generally prepared. I remember loving it, may want to try it again !!!

I'm so glad you did this, I learned a lot. Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun, & ask questions or browse before you kill another piece of meat.

Comment

Best technique for London Broil is Sous Vide.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yup, I think you all "killed it" with your analysis on this one.:-) Certainly solves the mystery of how they make soles for kids shoes....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here