Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a whole beef tenderloin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my god! I don't think I've ever seen a beef tenderloin with that much marbling. Those are going to be delicious!

Comment

This is my 3rd purchase from The Flora Butcher, Flora, MS. They will be great if last steaks are any measure. Angus choice filets are $25 per pound here at our local grocer, when they have them. It's hit or miss on taste and tenderness. Yes, these ended up being $34 but I've got them cut exactly to my measure. I've bought whole tenderloins from Fresh Market and paid $125 for choice.

Just for comparison, the photo is of an Angus Choice next to one of their waygu rib eye steaks.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	florabutcherribeye.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	375708

Comment

I can't believe I missed seeing this thread. I live like 7 miles from the Flora Butcher Shop. That's the cleanest shop that I've ever been in. Also really enjoy his chickens- all young and tender . A very belated" thank you" for posting it.
        Last edited by bordercollie; June 6, 2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• bordercollie
          bordercollie commented
          Editing a comment
          The wine store is open right next to the butcher shop. We drove by last night on our way back from eating crawfish at Bill's. It looks very nice and not a typical wine store. I know you will like it. Be sure to check the hours and days for the plate lunches though . Unfortunately they don't offer the blackened catfish and grits any longer.
          CandySue, If you wish sometime, just send me a pm and you are welcomed to drop by the farm .

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Tagging CandySueQ so she can see your response here...

• bordercollie
          bordercollie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for tagging this jfmorris . I'm still new at this.

Wow. OK. That settles the decision. Beef Tenderloin for Fathers day. Now to start searching... haha

Comment

And has anyone had experience with Sure Shot Sid's Gunpowder rub? I think I like, but it is a little salty. Trying to figure out right amount per steak or piece

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I have used it and like it. Don't dry rub your steaks and use it. I like it as a "finisher" just to sprinkle lightly before serving.

Trimming and cutting a whole tenderloin is such a good value. You really practically don't even need a knife until you're ready to cut the steaks, as most of the connective tissue just pulls right off!

Also, as others have said, that marbling is fantastic for a tenderloin!

Here's some photos of authentic Kobe tenderloins (in Kobe) for comparison. Yours compare very favorably!
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here