Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu troubles

So, really interesting, it appears this wagyu is cooking faster than expected. It looks like the flat is going to be done waaaay sooner than the point. I was aiming for lunch tomorrow, but parts of the flat are at 190 now while the point is still high 160s. It ain't gonna take 14 hours for it to go the rest of the way. Any suggestions? I considered turning down the heat to 215 or so, and hopefully the hunk doesn't dry out. This is a 15 on wagyu packer. Not wrapping. So strange.

I feel like all of my BBQ knowledge is being tested. I've moved the hunk around to try and help the point take more of the heat and tapped the heat down just a touch. I'll let ya know what happens. This won't be the first time a bit of a flat dries out a touch. This thing is the footballiest shaped brisket I ever seen.

Pics to follow in the morning.

I think I may have a solution. Breakfast instead. Ill
    cambro if it's done around 6:00 am. If it's earlier than that I may drop the heat to maintain holding temp and hold for an hour or two. Either way this cool has been unlike any other. Absolutely no stall. I cannot explain it, but definitely decided it's worth more research.

Comment

What are you cooking on?

I had a Prime flat with not much fat, but I could bend it like an accordion, that got to 162 internal in no time. Me thinks the lack of connective tissue or whatever makes them suckers tough allows it to cook that much faster.

Comment

Got no clue! You might consider separating the point and finishing separate. You could then drop the flat to <40F and reheat it SV closer to serving time? Hold the point in the Cambro once it gets there, then make burnt ends as an appetizer?

Comment

kmhfive That's a great idea. Ill
          need to see the biggest plastic bag I got.

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got a roll of the "expanding" bags, but you've got to double seal it to be sure.

Im pretty sure I'm dealing with faulty equipment. I repositioned my probe and got 185. It's been there for a good while. I went to refill my water pan and spot checked and found temps of 185-190 throughout. This is the first use of a stand in pen thermometer while my other one is delayed in the mail. Thanks again Harvey. I bought em el cheapo in the meantime and I think it's speaking lies!!!!

the pursuit continues...

Comment

Remember temp is a guideline, pull when it probes like butter all over.

Comment

I have seen late stalls and stalls where the temperature actually dropped for a bit, so not sure anything surprises me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here