Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket/Burnt Ends Process Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket/Burnt Ends Process Question

I am cooking a 17lb packer brisket on a Yoder 640. I have been cooking at 225 degrees for 15 hours so far. It is now at 196.6. I wrapped it in butcher paper at 150 degrees. I plan on cooking until 203 or feels like "buttah" and then putting in a cooler for 2 hours. Question: I want to do burnt ends. At what point in the timeline do I cut off the point, cube, sauce and place back on the grill in a pan for another hour? I would think I would want to let the whole brisket rest for 2 hours, but then I would have another hour to wait on the burnt ends to cook with sauce and the point would be significantly cooler due to heat loss while cutting off the point. I am sure I am over thinking this. Please bring me back to earth
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bnorem; September 3, 2017, 11:38 AM. Reason: Pic before wrapping. Not entirely thrilled with the bark.

When the flat is butter tender I seperate from the point and put to hold/rest.

I then cube the point and test pull apart tenderness. If not quite tender I continue cooking until tender, then sauce, caramelize, and hold.

Comment

I do what Jerod does, when the packer is tender I pull, separate the point, cambro the flat, make the burnt ends and they also go in the cambro until meal time.

Comment

Thanks for your input. Brisket was a success.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Bark doesn't look that bad.

• PJBowmaster
          PJBowmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a beautiful looking Brisket! And those Burnt Ends......Lord have Mercy!!

I wasn't expecting the bark to look better after being wrapped. That appears to be what happened though.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that butcher paper allowed more surface drying.

I like the result! I haven't tried this yet.

Comment

What was your prep and your method?

Comment

Looks great to me!

Comment

Looks yummy.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks great! To answer the question in the OP, this is why I prefer to separate the point from the flat before cooking. I can have the best of both worlds and more all-over bark. Good call on the butcher paper, btw.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here