Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket

I don't know if I have learned a new trick or not but this week I have cooked 4 perfect briskets in a row. It started because I forgot to set my alarm the 1st time. I hit the stall at 150 and wrapped it and went to bed, didn't wake till the next morning and it had cooled to 100 degrees,cussed a little and fired everything back off and no stall this time,took it off at 203,let it cool before slicing and it was perfect, so I did the next 3 the same way and fixen to put another on. Using it in my Philly's and French Dips too and it is working well.

Photos or it doesn't count. lol

I'm sure those who stress and struggle with briskets, racking their brains, staying up for 24 hours in a row, etc wont like the fact that you've invented lazy brisket.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Hate to sound a sour note, but how long did it sit between 100 and 140? Danger zone over 2 hours I've heard.

• Pirate
      Pirate commented
      Editing a comment
      I had stoked the fire @ 11:30 and was back down at 6:30,could not have been more than a couple of hours.

Agree with Mike, what briskets? Didn't happen. Nothin to talk about here, nope, notta.

Comment

EdF info good catch that why we shock to below 90 ASAP then race to below 41° However he took it to 203°.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, my derangement - sorry!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF Better safe than sorry.

Technically it may have broke the "rules", but wrapped at a temp high enough to be pretty sanitary and reheated to 203 while still wrapped with virtually no chance for recomtamination is a realistically a very safe cook.

Suspect that the success of the cook was because it spent a whole lot of time in the temp range (above 160) that starts to melt connective tissue. "Done" for brisket type cooks is a combination of time and temp, not just ending temp! Same reason a faux cambro hold is so helpful. Very slow cool down extends the time above the 150-160F. range. Pirate just snuck that "hold" into the middle of the cook while he slept in. 😁

Comment

• Pirate
        Pirate commented
        Editing a comment
        And they are double wrapped and tight.

Hahahaa, he hit the pause button. I've had a lot of sleepless nights over the years, never knew I just take a "time out".

zzzzzz.....coffee....ok, "time in!"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here