Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind of Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Kind of Beef Ribs?

I have never purchased nor cooked beef ribs, but saw these at the store (when I was hungry). They were just labeled "Beef Ribs for BBQ." They were Choice. 1.2 lbs and $3.99/lb (if that helps). Are these short or back ribs?

They dont look like short ribs , but they seem meatier than those beef ribs you get at walmart. Short ribs usually have a large chunk of meat, like several inches, on top of the bone.

Comment

Those look like a slightly different cut of back ribs / spare ribs. Unlike pork, back and spares are the same when talking about beef ribs. Like W.A says short ribs have almost square chunks of meat, much wider and shorter. Cook these the same, but they may be done a pinch quicker.

On Meathead's short ribs recipe page he discusses doing spares at the bottom (last subheading) of the article. I've done them a few times, if you do it right they are amazingly delicious. Use a temp probe, don't treat them like pork ribs, treat them more like brisket.

Comment

Thanks Huskee! I'll give 'em a shot tomorrow - probably for an appetizer since the cook time is an unknown.

Comment

Im with Huskee - I think you've stumbld on the mythical meaty back rib! The holy grail of all beef ribs. Good luck, the responsibility to do them right is enormous!

Comment

I have a large rack of these in my freezer waiting for the right time. Thanks Huskee for helping to find a non braising way to cook these. We do a lot of braising at the restaurant, and I'm currently sick of braised beef! lol
            I buy these from a local prison-operated vendor using their own animals. Good stuff. Good luck The Burn, and please let us know how things went.

Comment

Back ribs. They probably forgot to rip off all the meat like they normally do.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                They look like world record back ribs.

Glad they did. I have been on the look out for some beef ribs after various posts & photos, but I never see it. The beef sections at the grocery stores have been downright depressing - overpriced and/or poor selection. Costco has had boneless chuck short ribs, but something doesn't sound right about that. And for $8.99/lb, they've got better options.

Meanwhile, it's 203 without a crutch for these boys.

Just realized these will fit nicely in the Kettle with the Vortex and I can do a mess of wings on the other 3/4 of the circle. 225 is low for them, but I'll crisp 'em up over the direct center.
              Last edited by The Burn; December 4, 2014, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you tried the rub? I have not. It's a bit... erm... weird. It smells like a can of Kodiak chewing tobacco.

• W.A.
                W.A. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!

• The Burn
                The Burn commented
                Editing a comment
                PB - I haven't tried it. I looked at the ingredients and was thrown off by the activated charcoal and didn't like the corn syrup solids either. It's been a long time since I've smelled chewing tobacco, but this did have a different smell to it.

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
              Costco has had boneless chuck short ribs, but something doesn't sound right about that. And for $8.99/lb, they've got better options.
              Chuck ribs are just the chuck, or front shoulder, version of the back ribs (spare ribs) which come from the next section back, the rib. The short ribs come from the lower end of the rib section, called the plate...if I have my ducks in a row. The "boneless" part, assuming there's no dishonesty, would be a convenience, but the prep would be different than backs/spare ribs or short ribs with bones. But...yeah...at $8.99/lb, like Pit Boss and I have discussed, you're better off going for a nice steak for that kind of gold.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, you and Pit Boss....I need to live where you do. That's a great price for any Prime cut. Although I can get back ribs for $6/lb which I guess isn't terrible for beef. I'd sure love a prime rib though.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that's a good price. Sounds like Costco to me!

• W.A.
                W.A. commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope. My local butcher here in upstate NY. Had to buy the whole thing though, like 19lbs. Every once in a while I find a deal sitting in their fridge along with choice cuts. I look for the red labeling.

TB those are back ribs that used to be attached to a prime rib roast. If you look at Meathead's Prime Rib recipe he goes into detail on how to smoke them. I recommend you don't crutch them unless you want ribs that taste like pot roast.

Comment

Went to a Shop-Rite that I passed by this morning, for the first time, and they've got a much better selection of meat than any of the other big chain grocery stores around here. Picked up some chuck short ribs - that look much more like short ribs and I'm going to do those with the back ribs (instead of also doing chicken). A report and photos later tonight.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

More beef ribs! Yay!

Comment

They were good. I preferred the flavor of the beef back ribs, though they weren't as meaty. They did get a full day's dry brine and then an hour or so of BBBR, while the short ribs only got the hour or so of BBBR and salt. The chuck short ribs, not surprisingly, tasted a lot like the pulled beef I did from chuck roast a few weeks back.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those look incredible! The backs I've done were very good too. I really enjoy beef ribs A LOT.

Those are some chunky beef back ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here