Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket texture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket texture

Hello! Last week I bought a whole packer brisket (CAB) and slowly thawed it in the cryovac until Saturday afternoon, when I opened it for trimming and brining. Since I opened it I noticed part of the point had a weird texture/color. It was a little more brownish than the rest, and didn't look as fresh as the rest of the brisket. Sadly I didn't take photos. Then yesterday, I smoked the brisket for 12 hours at 225-250f, wrapping it in butcher paper when it hit the stall about 5 hours in. After taking it off the smoker and resting it for about 1 hour, I sliced it. It looked real nice on the outside, and the flat was pretty good. The point, while also having a good flavor, had an off-putting texture. This is only the second time I smoke a brisket, but last time it definitely did not look like this. Was it under-cooked? Meat quality? I have no idea!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	370757

Name:	Brisket 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	370758

Name:	Brisket.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	370759

What was internal temp and was it "probe" tender?

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      It was probe tender, the temp was around 195f.

Can you describe the off-putting texture? Hard to say what the problem could be w/o more details. Regardless, my suspicion is it's just an anomaly with that particular brisket. You shouldn't notice any stark difference other than the point should be more tender and succulent, but nothing negative.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it is what Steve R. is pointing to, it was dried out when it first came out the cryovac. However, I think it went a little more deep than that, because it was in the middle of the point. Thanks!

Without seeing it, I'm going to guess the edges may have had some gray-ish areas that looked a little dried out when it first came out of the cryovac. I always trim that off, just for aesthetics. The finished product looks pretty good to me!

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly, that's what it looked like! Thanks. It was pretty good, just didn't look as tasty and the texture was a little "off", I don't know how to describe it... gotta keep practicing!

Did slices "pull apart" (done) but not fall apart (overdone)? Fat layer between muscles maybe could have rendered a bit more but all in all certainly looks like something I would be happy to eat.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's a combination of being maybe a little underdone, and the anomaly with the brisket Huskee was talking about. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here