Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAB Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAB Brisket

Well I was able to find a butcher within an hour of me that is a CAB vendor. So after visiting his shop in Orange Beach (AL) I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a CAB packer from him. Since all of my cooks up to now have been with Select, I wanted to take a stab at a better grade of meat. Excited and a little nervous at the same time. Picking it up Saturday morning to start cooking that night. Wish me luck

You will notice a big difference. I get my CAB briskets at Restaurant Depot and the difference is startling.
    Which platform will you be cooking on?
    Good luck on your cook!

Comment

I'm a WSM 22.5" guy with a DigiQ DX2. Finally getting everything dialed in so hopefully I'll have good luck this weekend.

Comment

You'll love it! The key is holding it in a faux cambro after it reaches temp so it can delishify for an hour or three.

Comment

Not trying to jinx you or anything, but I read one here from CurlySueQ that no matter what you do a CAB brisket will have a dry taste. She advised to stick with the selects. Anyway I really hope yours goes better than my CAB brisket. I used the crutch with beef broth and although it looked and sliced with plenty of juice it did taste a bit dry. I chaled it up to all of the pepper in the rub, but then I read CurlySueQs post about CABs having a dry taste inherent in the meat.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySue, you mean?

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Was just about to edit that, but the edit function doesn't yet work on my iPad. I have probably screwed her name up more than once. Apologies CandySueQ.

Originally posted by HC in SC View Post
          Not trying to jinx you or anything, but I read one here from CurlySueQ that no matter what you do a CAB brisket will have a dry taste. She advised to stick with the selects. Anyway I really hope yours goes better than my CAB brisket. I used the crutch with beef broth and although it looked and sliced with plenty of juice it did taste a bit dry. I chaled it up to all of the pepper in the rub, but then I read CurlySueQs post about CABs having a dry taste inherent in the meat.
          Here's the post from CandySueQ you're referring to, HC. She mentions Angus beef (CAB) having a dry mouthfeel even if it is juicy. And in her experience, if I'm not misinterpreting anything, she has won awards with Selects as often as any other grade. As a general rule though, for a non-pro (which Candy is surely the pro of pros, along with Jerod Broussard) it's best to start with a higher grade until you nail the perfect techniques and can then make a lesser cut better. Just my $.02.

Comment

Hi Jlock, by all means use CAB and try it out. Its my experience with CAB (20 years in the restaurant with this line of products), that some cuts are worth the CAB price while some are not. The place where I currently cook uses CAB. The rib eyes and striploin are good, but the tenderloin is overpriced. Strangely enough, however, the skirt steak is sublime. I would venture to say that brisket, not being in as high of demand as other "steakhouse" cuts, might be "better selected as our skirt steak seemed to be. Either way, have fun and don't worry.

Comment

That was my thinking when I did mine.

We always buy CAB strips, filets, ribeyes, skirt, roasts, etc because I think you taste the differnce. I followed MHs directions, including the BBBR and the crutch with broth. It came out and sliced very juicy, but I'll be doggone if it didn't have a dry feel to it. Maybe too lean for that application.

Anyway, not trying to pee on your campfire, but if it doesn't turn out as perfect as you think it should, just consider that there may be some factors out of your control with the CAB and don't second guess your method.

Cheers!
              Last edited by HC in SC; December 5, 2014, 06:36 AM.

Comment

IIRC (and that's always questionable), MH has said that he doesn't think the CAB certification process is that tightly controlled. That being said one of the briskets I've done was CAB and was good, and I've got a 13 pounder sitting in the freezer. I just don't know if it's any better than the Choice briskets I've done. The only reason I have them is that a local meat market stocks them at $4.99/lb, which is $2/lb cheaper than even Costco. I've never done a Select brisket.

Comment

As part of my job(s),I have been involved in a couple CAB seminars conducted by one of large local commercial vendors. CAB is a brand, not necessarily a "grade." As their popularity has grown, they sometimes seem to be a victim of their own success. In other words, inconsistent product. We experience this issue on a regular basis at the restaurant. In my experience, USDA Prime, while expensive, is much more consistent, as the market is smaller. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
                    As part of my job(s),I have been involved in a couple CAB seminars conducted by one of large local commercial vendors. CAB is a brand, not necessarily a "grade." As their popularity has grown, they sometimes seem to be a victim of their own success. In other words, inconsistent product. We experience this issue on a regular basis at the restaurant. In my experience, USDA Prime, while expensive, is much more consistent, as the market is smaller. Hope this helps someone.
                    Appreciate the info! Meathead's beef grades page says regarding CAB:

"To wear the CAB logo, the carcass must pass 10 quality control standards and CAB must be either USDA Prime or one of the two upper sublevels of USDA Choice. Most of it is USDA Choice. CAB costs a bit more because the American Angus Association charges a fee to "certify" the steers and higher markups take place on down the line. Interestingly, CAB does not actually certify that the beef labeled Certified Angus Beef is from the highly regarded Angus breed. Their major control is that the steer must have a black hide, which is a genetic indicator that there are Angus genes in the steer, but not a guarantee."

All very interesting information on the subject....

Comment

Thank you for all the info. And after reading Meathead's write-up on beef grading, as well as discussing it with a friend who is a chef, I was aware that CAB is more of a branding rather than a grading. However, the way I look at it, the upper 2 levels of Choice or possibly Prime has got to be a better cut of meat than the Select that's usually available locally.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here