Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fight Night Tri Tip seasoned up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight Night Tri Tip seasoned up

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tri Tip.JPG Views:	3 Size:	660.6 KB ID:	369520 Using Meatheads Tri Tip in the table of contents. Decided to go with my brisket rub. Weighed about 4.5 before trimming. 4.0 now. Took all the fat cap and silver skin off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2488.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	369726Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2489.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	369725 Pulled it 110 and grilled on old trusty/rusty

Comment

I have never done a tri tip. I probably should it is one of the few things in bbq I have never attempted

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        It's great stuff my friend. Delicious. Cooks like a steak. You won't be disappointed.

• Livermoron
        Livermoron commented
        Editing a comment
        Give it a shot. Might even knock a Texan off brisket...

Dang I want to try a tri tip! Looks great

Comment

Nice looking grill F&C. My usual beef on the PBC. I can smoke them in 50-70 minutes (depending on size) and they come out perfect. I usually use Select grade, because they come out so fine on the PBC and the price is low- usually $1.99-2.49
        untrimmed in a bag of 5 or so. I even cut steaks from a big one once in awhile. Can't go wrong with tri tip.

Comment

reading about it, I think my argentine grill from pits and spits would work perfectly for it since I can raise and lower the cooking grates quickly. It also has a hood, and easy to control intake dampers. Thoughts?

Comment

• Livermoron
            Livermoron commented
            Editing a comment
            Bingo. Same way a traditional Santa Maria grill works. if you can find some red oak, even better. Normally I can't tell much difference between types of wood, but red oak really stands out in tri tip...

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a shed FULL of split red oak. Use it in the fire place. most of it has been seasoned 2-3 years too...I see an experiment in my future.

• Fussin & Cussing
            Fussin & Cussing commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep and I see why they those. Once I had a good singe the meat wasn't up to 130 yet and so I had to sort of finish it off on the open coal side. Took a little longer than I wanted to which I'm sure dried it out some. Still a lot of juice to it but not as much as others have described.

Now that's a nice looking tri tip!

Comment

Nice!

Being from Central California, tri tip is my go-to. I've done them on the weber kettle rotisserie and in the PBC. Always a crowd pleaser...

Comment

Forgot to take pics of the slices. It was awesome. Everyone ate it up quick. A little something different too.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here