Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Reheat Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Reheat Pastrami

I am making pastrami for the second time and I want to bring it to work for a party. What would be the best way to reheat it? Keep in mind I will have very limited equipment to work with - Microwave, small toaster oven, crock pot, and possibly a small rice maker/steamer. I assume that I will have already steamed it at home and eaten some strictly for "quality control checks." Should I vacuum seal slices and try to reheat in boiling water or just wrap slices in moist paper towels and microwave?

When I brought mine in to work, I used my Joule to heat the sealed bags in water @165 F. That worked great. IF you don't have the SV option. I would try to boil them. I always try to avoid the microwave, when possible. But it is always an option.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      But keep it below boiling temp if you can.

I may have to break down and get an SV. This forum has already "forced" me into getting an SNS and buying higher quality meat. Now the only trick is to figure out how to convince the wife that this is a necessity. Of course, I just finished making a batch of homemade Chardonnay for her so maybe now is a good time.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Strike while the iron is hot.

For now, I'd just put it in the crock pot for an hour or two. Since crock pots heat slow, I'd start with hot tap water.

Comment

How do the street vendors do it? Do they just basically boil it and shake the water off when making your sandwich? Or do they have more of a steam tray?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Been a while, but I think it's more of a steam tray.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I was gonna say the same thing. Steam tray. EdF SoCal Chris

If you can't convince your SO that you really should get a Sous Vide appliance or wand, you could always do Kenji Alt-Lopez over at Serious Eats calls "red neck sous vide". Bag your pastrami, exclude the air, and fill an ice chest with enough water at the right temperature to cover the pastrami. This isn't rocket science since it's already cooked, you just want the water to be at your desired serving temperature. Since it will cool off, you may want to bring a water kettle and add more hot water from time to time.

We used this for some time. It lets you get your feet wet without spending crazy amounts of money. And even after you get a sous vide, the red neck approach works very well for large cookouts, like when you have to cook 50 or more steaks. All you need to do is open the bags and sear them to give 'em color. But you already knew that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here