Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough flank steak challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough flank steak challenge

I am looking for ideas to use some tough flank steak and not throw what was left away. My wife bought some pre-marinated beef fajita meat that was a store brand type pack. In the past, we have bought these and if a good brand, they make great fajitas and it is something I would do with vegetables on my gas grill with no problem.

This was a very large pack and it was just the two of us, so I cooked a small portion and froze the rest.

The meat was tough and stringy, ( I cut it across the grain, just like I normally do).

The challenge I have right now is that I have about 2 lbs of tough uncooked flank steak in the freezer, and i hate throwing away food.

I am looking for ideas on what to do with it.

Should I just cut it into strips and cook it in a crock pot for hours to tenderize it and use it for bbq beef (just cook it in bbq sauce)? Should I cut it into strips and try to make jerky on a smoker (should be getting one soon)?

I don't have a meat grinder, but have thought about that as well.

My son has two dogs, should I try to make dog food out of it?

Any and all ideas are welcome!

TIA

I would do the slow cooker. Tenderizes almost anything. Cut it up for chile, or just cook in some kind of sauce.

Comment

Yeah. Souse vide or chile. Sous vide and reverse searing will tame that beast big time.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And they're cheap these days.

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't have a souse vide...MCS!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        They're cheap these days! ;-)

it adds a gread bigbeefy flavor to burgers if you grind it with a much fattier cut or some beef fat added in to make it 70-30. I also like t to pound it and make carne asada for street style tacos. serve with corn tortillas, diced avocado, jalapenos, white onion, fresh motzarella cheese, cilantro, lime juice, and some salsa verde! YUM!!!!!

Comment

Slow cooking is where it will be tender. Otherwise grind it. I would put it in a HTTM @135F for 24-48 hours. Then sear and serve.

Comment

I was going to go with the crock pot or sous vide suggestion but texastweeter has a great idea. Sometimes you just get that piece of meat that won't tenderize for one reason or another. Get that old meat mallet out and pound the daylights out of it and then grill hot and fast, cutting into pieces for the tacos. Because it is pre-marinated there is not much more to do, I would imagine. Here is a thread you might enjoy https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...93-carne-asada

Comment

Who will be happier in the end You and your Wife or the Dawg? Less trouble to serve the Dawg and it will be happy I am sure. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• bten
              bten commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

• Pirate Scott
              Pirate Scott commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter that is hilarious, and true. LMAO.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Reserve my Right to refuse to comment...
              Lettin' th' Dawg out at least makes sense...
              Th' Other's jus' Scary!!!!!

I like the suggestions so far. Mine?

Get you one of these for the next time you need it. Best 20 bucks I think I have ever spent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	419TbuzAA1L.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	365378

And of course, I only cook my flank or skirt directly on the coals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 copy.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	365379

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              When you say directly, you're not messing around!

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice cant have any flare ups if there is no space between the meat and the coals!! Real pro move there!!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe thatis called cave man style. the funny thing is not much ash at all adheres to the steaks, its not at all like you think. get a darn good sear too!

If you have a PBC, flank steaks come out super tender after around 20-25 minutes of cooking. It's actually kinda bizarre how good they turn out. But Jaccards (above) are awesome for tough meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here