Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aged Strip... on a CI Hibachi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aged Strip... on a CI Hibachi

It's been a long while since I've cooked much of anything, but the itch got the better of me tonight...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170812_165810.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	361459
    All of Reasor's Dry Aged is "Select" grade, but it had some decent marble (much better than last time I checked them out) so I decided to give a dry aged cut a try.

Name:	20170812_170216.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	361460
    A pretty quick dry brine, at room temp, while I started some coals and broke out the Lodge Hibachi. It's maiden voyage. I'm dining alone tonight, and don't need much grill space, so just set her inside the HB, and loaded a few coals way off to one side. A trusty CI Pan should work fine to catch just enough of the heat. This is definitely a 2-zone set up.

Name:	20170812_173704.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	361461
    Add some freshly cracked (used a mixture of Black, Pink, & White) pepper, and a brush of Olive Oil, then toss it on the far side of the grill before covering with the pan.

Name:	20170812_174407.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	361462
    The pan varied in temps from 220ish on the hot side, to about 140ish on the cool side. Not sure it did any good, but I did rotate it a couple of times. A thermopen and occasional check showed I needed to flip about 25 minutes in. Also did a rotate about another 10 minutes in. Ten more and it was at 130 IT and it was pulled to rest in a Tupperware type container while I added more lit coals, all across the Hibachi, and some veggies. Bell pepper w/ Olive Oil, salt and some of the pepper mixture. The squash brined with some salt to pull out some of the moisture while all the rest was happening.

Name:	20170812_182455.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	361463
    Piled the coals as high as possible, flipped the grate to the low position, and began the sear... Lots of flipping, turning, and moving around the grill to avoid the grill marks. Started at about 30 second flips, but quickly moved to 10 count flips.

Name:	20170812_184104.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	361464
    Plated...

Name:	20170812_184415.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	361465
    And the Money Shot...

Name:	20170812_184512.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	361466
    Not perfect, as there is a bit more banding on one side than I would have preferred. Not sure if that was from the sear or if I should have done the initial flip sooner. I wouldn't call it a failure though. Very juicy!! Deep beef flavor. Could have been a bit more tender, but I wouldn't call it tough. For a "Select" grade cut, I'm not complaining. The fat especially had a great flavor. Not sure how to describe it. Sweet and fruity, I guess, although the beef smelled more nutty when I first unwrapped it.

Looking forward to trying a Dry Aged "Choice" or better if I can find it... ribeye next time.

Do you know how long it was aged?

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have the space for/ or a separate reliable fridge to dry age my own. I should have asked, but will remember too next time. I would bet, since they have the facilities for it, I could special order a rib roast and get them to age it,... at a cost though.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't need a separate fridge to use these guys: http://umaidry.com

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, EdF. I was under the impression it is important to 'set it and forget it' and not open the fridge for much of anything during the process. I guess thinking of more stable temps from a closed door, and not varying the load by adding/removing food after grocery shopping/getting stuff out.

Now that's my kind of cookin Q! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Comment

Lookin' very good.

Comment

Sweeeeeeeeet. I to think I'm having take out pizza tonight. Soooo jealous. Great job brother.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great looking steak.

Comment

Great job. Thanks for the hibachi pictures!

Comment

Looks great to me. Thanks.

Comment

I have been real tempted by that little hibachi but it is not often I cook for only one or two. A little hibachi was my first grill when I got married. I can't seem to find that little Lodge for less than $200 in Canada and am reluctant to buy a cheaper unit.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                    TheCountofQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They are tempting, aren't they? I've got 2 now. This and a round China made one. With a CI pan lid, they both seem to be turning out fine food, using proper technique.

TheCountofQ re the Umai bags.

These bags use a different process than the traditional methods. So they want you not to touch the meat so you don't break contact between the bag and the surface. And they want plenty of ventilation, opening and closing the fridge is encouraged. The temps just need to be kept within a certain range and it's not super-strict. Main thing is you need enough room in the fridge for the meat to get the ventilation.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                    TheCountofQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotcha. That 'room' could still be an issue, for now. Soon...

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had a feeling that might be the case when you described your situation above. Things change!

Picked up a couple of 1 1/4" Dry aged Ribeyes and cooked the same method. Flipped/rotated every 5 minutes for 40 minutes total, then 'ten count' flips at the sear. A much better result on the banding. Gotta love that flavor!! Very juicy!!

Not as tender as I would expect from such a cut though. They are now telling me it is choice, not select, and it does have better marbling than it used to have when they said it was select. I'm not sure... I thought part of the dry aging process was to increase tenderness, as well as flavor??

Sorry, no pics tonight, as I just did the carnivore thing and no sides, which I 'sometimes' think makes for a boring pic. One is still in the fridge, so maybe tomorrow I'll add something interesting to go with.

EdF I asked this time, and they said it dry ages for 21 - 30 days. It was late in the day, and the kid couldn't answer as to what the deciding factor is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here