Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Beef on the Rec Tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Beef on the Rec Tec

Here's my first shot at pulled beef. It was a 3+ pound Angus choice boneless chuck roast I spied on "getting close to the sell by date" special at $1.99/lb and it looked great, so I couldn't pass it up. I wasn't ready to cook it, but new I wanted to use it for pulled beef, so I applied BBBR (salt added version) and vacuum packed and froze it. By virtue of defrosting, the BBBR had about 16 hours to penetrate. Before going on the RT, I applied a bit more rub to the top. I smoked it at 225F to an IT of 203F - took about 11.5 hours - I did not inject or crutch it.

It came out very good - nice smokey favor, great bark and not super juicy but not too dry either.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mgaretz; July 21, 2014, 12:20 PM.

I can't get the picture of the whole roast to post, so here's a link to it:

Comment

That looks great I think I know what I'll be making this weekend.

Comment

That is the bomb!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
          I can't get the picture of the whole roast to post, so here's a link to it:

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/mo...1405967503.jpg

Instead of clicking the camera icon to upload pics try the "upload attachment" icon on the upper right. I prefer the way it displays pics myself and it might work better for you.

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Tried that too - no go.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Pass me the details I requested in the Welcome thread where you posted the error.

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
          Here's my first shot at pulled beef. It was a 3+ pound Angus choice boneless chuck roast I spied on "getting close to the sell by date" special at $1.99/lb and it looked great, so I couldn't pass it up. I wasn't ready to cook it, but new I wanted to use it for pulled beef, so I applied BBBR (salt added version) and vacuum packed and froze it. By virtue of defrosting, the BBBR had about 16 hours to penetrate. Before going on the RT, I applied a bit more rub to the top. I smoked it at 225F to an IT of 203F - took about 11.5 hours - I did not inject or crutch it.

It came out very good - nice smokey favor, great bark and not super juicy but not too dry either.
          I wonder if freezing it purged some juice and led to it being "not super juicy"? I would think a chuck roast would be quite juicy, at least have a good mouthfeel from all the fat. I used CAB "petite roasts" that were quite perfectly marbled and they were heavenly. Do you prefer it to pulled pork? I'm thinking I do.

Comment

@mgaretz I have followed a lot of your advice and recommendations for cooking on my RecTec from other sites. Loved everything I "stole" from you. Looking forward to more RecTec centric recipes from you as I limit my use to mostly chicken and pork. Pellets are really ineffective for me since my cost is almost all shipping in NJ. The only pellets I can buy reasonably are pine for wood burning stoves, and pine pellets are nasty to cook with. But I will break out the RecTec as much as I can and your recipes have always been a great base for me. Anyone with a RecTec should have a login for pelletheads.com where mgaretz has posted numerous helpful posts for this RecTec forum lurker

Comment

Originally posted by Rlasky View Post
              @mgaretz I have followed a lot of your advice and recommendations for cooking on my RecTec from other sites. Loved everything I "stole" from you. Looking forward to more RecTec centric recipes from you as I limit my use to mostly chicken and pork. Pellets are really ineffective for me since my cost is almost all shipping in NJ. The only pellets I can buy reasonably are pine for wood burning stoves, and pine pellets are nasty to cook with. But I will break out the RecTec as much as I can and your recipes have always been a great base for me. Anyone with a RecTec should have a login for pelletheads.com where mgaretz has posted numerous helpful posts for this RecTec forum lurker
              Thanks, but I owe it all to Meathead and crew!

Comment

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                Well most of it anyway!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here