Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib using Meathead's recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib using Meathead's recipe

Made a 3 lb Prime Rib last night. It started off as a 5 lb bone in Angus roast (on sale for $7.97 per lb). After removing the ribs and end cap fat I let it dry brine for 24 hours using 1.5 tsps of kosher salt. About an hour before going on the grill I applied the Cow Crust paste. Cooked low and slow on the Hasty Bake at 225F with a pecan wood chunk for smoke. Once the roast hit 115F I took it off the grill and got the Hasty Bake up to Warp 10. I then seared the roast for about 6 minutes, rotating the meat often. Total cook time was about 3 hours. Served with sauteed green beans and homemade mashed taters. The last two pics show off a new accessory called "The Vortex". Combine it with the BBQ Dragon and you've got a Warp 10 fire in minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	35963

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	35966

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	35965

Name:	IMG_5715.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	35967

Name:	Vortex.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	35962
    Attached Files

Nice looking roast

Comment

That Looks GREAT! Someday, I will get enough guts to try something like that

Comment

Thanks! It's really not all that hard once you have the techniques down.

Comment

Looks exactly like a prime rib should. That Vortex sure does put out some heat, doesn't it

Comment

Thanks TB. Yeah the Vortex really concentrates the heat so you get a great sear AND can use less charcoal. I've only used it a couple of times but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite accessories.

Comment

Whoa, that prime rib looks like a work of art!! All you used was the vortex to confine your heat? Nice!!

Comment

Yeppers. Just the Vortex. Worked like a champ. Friday I plan on using it for steak night.

Comment

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!! That's perfection!

Comment

Much appreciated Ernest!

Comment

Gosh Dave, seeing them on the big screen here is so much better than my phone....that is phenomenally done! And a good Feed The Flame pic there too!

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	36093

Comment

Medal! Woot! Thanks

Comment

Good, GOOD looking prime sir! Beautiful sear and color distribution.Having cooked thousands of prime ribs in my 35 plus years of being a pro, yours stands in the top tier!

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                            That Looks GREAT! Someday, I will get enough guts to try something like that
                            NOOOO! Don't buy guts! No matter how many of those you get they won't turn out like this! Buy prime rib instead...(now seriously) and don't wait until "someday" ----the downside is that you will have good instead of great.

Comment

• smarkley
                              smarkley commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hahahaha... I need to choose my words better I guess... but that WAS funny!

BEAUTIFUL!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here